Homeseer 100 & 200 series dimmers. Help with Adjusting the lower/upper digital threshold

I’m curious if anyone has explored this. I have purchased some of these dimmers, and I also have Cooper Eaton dimmers. The Cooper achieves much lower dimming levels on the same LED lights. I would like to have the Homeseer dimmers perform as similar as possible to the Coopers.

I found this on the Homeseer boards which refers to a ST users attempts in this area,

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/homeseer-z-wave-products/homeseer-dimmers-switches/1259497-hs-wd200-minimum-dim-level

Apparently the person was successful, but I cannot figure out if it is possible here on HE. Can anyone provide some assistance please? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

OK, so, from reading that thread, it appears you need to set parameter 5 to true or false. I'm guessing you're using the generic scene dimmer driver on Hubitat, which doesn't expose that. You can, however, temporarily switch the driver for this device to the "Basic Z-Wave Tool" driver they recently published to change this parameter yourself, then switch it back. Here is that tool: Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool

As for how to do this with that, the Z-Wave tool will ask for three values: parameter number, size, and value. I can't find this information documented in the only manual I can find for the dimmer, but at least the thread says it's parameter 5 and since the HomeSeer UI calls it "low dimming threshold," I'm guessing you need to set the value to "true" (and the default is "false"). Size is anyone's guess, but most of their parameters that are documented are 1 byte (which is certainly more than enough to hold a binary value), so I'd try that. Also, you can't literally use "true" and "false" here--I'm guessing those are friendly names in the HomeSeer UI that knows about these switches--so you'll probably need "1" or "0" (or perhaps another numeric value; again, these are guesses given the lack of documentation). My suggested values to use with this Z-Wave tool would then be would then be 5, 1, and 1 respectively.

When you're done, switch the driver back to the one you were using before. If what you just did doesn't work, you might try seeing what the ST DTH someone posted in that thread does (I can't view it because I'm not an HS forum member)--maybe I guessed wrong on the size or value of the parameter ("0" as a value would be easy to try; it's unlikely the size is larger though certainly possible, and I'm pretty sure 5 is the correct parameter since that's what they said and that's not already taken from what I see in existing documentation).

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I'm very interested in what values you find work for this. Please post back. Thanks

The method suggested did give me access to adjust the settings. However, I’m not sure what success I have experienced yet. Unfortunately, I went ahead with the procedure without taking a baseline for comparison. However, I must note these switches don’t have an “even” dim rate, at least not for me. They are difficult to dim with precision manually. Electronically, there is great differences between lights at 1% through 10% levels, and almost no difference between 70 through 100%. I assume this is the result of LED lights, but I cannot say for sure.

That said, levels between 1 and 10% do provide acceptable levels of dimming. However I must use a voice assistant or the web UI to achieve this result.

Ya. That’s the bulb. Put an incandescent in to test if you have one.

I noticed this on my HS WD100 as well. Is this pretty normal with all LED bulbs? In thinking about setting my dim levels - I should consider 65% - 70% the real 100%?

Is there any way to set the device to reflect this on the switch LEDs (ie, all WD100 LEDs will be on - it looks like 100%, but it's set at a true 70%)?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.