HomeKit when internet is out?

Question if the internet is out, aren’t the HomeKit dashboards supposed to still function with local control?

If you have a local Apple "hub" of some sort and are on your LAN they should for any device that is also locally managed.

1 Like

Yeah, I do, it is on an Apple TV. But none of my local devices are responding. They still work from the device page, but not the apple tv or sharptools dashboards (sharptools I expect no to work). Wifi is still working, just not connected to the internet.

Most likely your iPhone has detected that the Internet is not available via WiFi, and thus it has automagically switched to using your Cellular Data Network instead. As such, even though you are home, the phone is behaving as though you are out of the house.

You can disable this feature in the iPhone settings. The feature is called "WiFi Assist" and is located near the bottom of the "Cellular" settings menu.

6 Likes

Hummm. Found it. Turned it off, but the HomeKit dashboards are still saying. It responding.

I figured it out. I had to disable Wi-Fi assist, turn off Wi-Fi and Network, then turn Wi-Fi back on. A bit of a pain to be honest, but at least it doesn't happen often.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I hope you get internet back soon. I can’t remember the last time our internet was out. It was always going down when we had Spectrum.