Homekit Presence Going Wild. Anyone else?

It's a rabbit hole. Next I would sign out and in from iCloud on any Home Hubs (Apple TVs, iPads, HomePods).

I’m looking into alternative device trackers. All apps on both of our phones seem to have us bouncing around our neighborhood while we’re sitting at home. Trying to make an aggregate baysian device in home assistant at the recommendation of my friend.

Keith,

Have you tried Locative on iOS yet? I recently loaded it back on my iPhone and have been very impressed with how accurate and reliable it has been. Not saying it will help in your specific situation, but it may be worth taking a look at. It is now being supported again and there have been updates for it in the App Store. I am using it along with Maker API to control a virtual Presence device. For the past week, it has never missed a beat, and no false events whatsoever. I am finding it much, much more reliable than the Hubitat Mobile App, and at least as good as Life360, if not better, with significantly less battery usage.

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot about it lately.
I will try it out, thanks!

1 Like

Ooh, that sounds like your location is an unfortunate one for GPS accuracy. What is your home made of, and are there tall buildings around you?

It was flawless. Haven’t had an iOS update in a little while.

Wood and no.

Hi Keith, what apps are you referring to?

Thanks!

Apple Home, Life 360, Apple and Google Maps. When sitting at home we just bounce around to one spot around the corner and back home. Like ping pong balls. Both of us.

Turn off your WiFi on your phone once and see if you still jump around

2 Likes

Ah. That sounds an iOS operating system level issue. That’s why I was wondering if the GPS signal in your area was weak. But the idea of WiFi signals bouncing you around is possible too.

1 Like

Yea I'll have to try tonight.
I'm trying to get Locative set up with Home Assistant but it's not clear how it's to be received in HA.
I have a feeling it's one of those sneaky events that's hard to watch for.
Until you know what to watch for.

1 Like

I agree with using more than 1.

Apple HomeKit has been the most reliable for me other than once or twice in the last year. You should not be getting the results that you are. But Apple doesn't make it very easy to figure out where things are going wrong.

If I added another it would likely be Locative. Although I don't really see any details of if/how they store ones location information.

IMO location information is likely the most valuable information that one can give up and also the easiest to abuse.