Homekit Integration unavailable when not on home network

This is primarily a Windows/Android house, so forgive if this question has an obvious answer. I was trying to set up Homekit integration for the one iphone user we do have here at home. Everything works as expected when connected to the home WiFi, but as soon as the phone is connected to mobile all of the homekit controls become unavailable on the iPhone. What do I need to do in order to make it work over the internet as well?

It sounds like you're just running into how HomeKit works, which is that it requires an Apple Home "hub" for out-of-home control. This is noted in Hubitat's HomeKit Integration documentation, though it is not a Hubitat issue per se.

I would look at Apple's home hub document to see more information, but in short, you'll need a HomePod (or the mini) or AppleTV your home network. You used to be able to use an always-home iPad, but they removed that from the documentation recently, and I'm not sure it ever worked reliably (that might be why!) -- but if you have one and it still has that option, that's the other thing that could also work.

1 Like

Bummer, I was kinda hoping that since Hubitat was connected to the internet and because it seemed to work at home there was just some step I missed. I think we have an old unused iPhone 11 lying around but we have no other Apple devices.

That much will always work; an Apple home hub is only a requirement for out-of-home control. That is what handles communication via iCloud; the Hubitat hub is not involved with that piece, so it being on the Internet (or not) doesn't change things.

If you aren't aware, there are other options for out-of-home control with Hubitat, including the mobile app (the "Lights/Switches" tab, for that type of device) or Hubitat Dashboard (also accessible via the mobile app but really just a webpage served by the hub that you can access with a LAN or cloud URL; does require setting up the Dashboard, unlike these other options). Good luck!

2 Likes

Just pick up a refurbed home pod mini off of ebay with a 1 year warranty. About 60 bux

1 Like

Or a refurbed Apple TV 4th gen:

for $60.

You don't have to USE the Apple product, just have it powered on and connected. Both will need to connect to your WiFi. You can connect the Apple TV to a TV, get it setup and enabled as a HomeKit hub then unplug it from the TV. As long as it's powered, it will do the job.

The HomePod Mini is similar, easy to setup and you don't actually need to do more with it. It will just sit there. It will respond to "Hey Siri" though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not if you say:
“Hey Siri, turn off Hey Siri”

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess I was trying to make the AppleTV seem a bit more benign. It's more to setup because you need that HDMI cable to a TV, but 5 mins later, after setup is complete, you don't need it. Eventually, just like the HomePod, an Apple update will be needed.

2 Likes

I mean why get an apple tv if you're not hooking it up to your tv? Cheaper to get a homepod mini as your hub at that point.

OP said he wasn't an Apple household. Which I interpreted to mean he wouldn't use the Homekit hub as it's actual functionality.. a streamer for TV or as a speaker. They are both going to be similar to Lutron SmartBridge so many of us have... a box, that has to be powered all the time but does nothing 'visible'. He'd need something trying to be as small as possible to be invisible to guests.

I have both and there's no obvious 'winner' in the race to be 'best'. :smiley:

2 Likes

I would lean more towards the Homepod mini as I could see it as something my wife might use occasionally and otherwise I could just ignore it..

However, just curious if there are any other solutions. Is Homebridge or some other software able to perform this task?

No. Buy a Homepod Mini and use it to control things where you don’t want Amazon or Google listening in. Or use it for announcements in a future update :wink: .

2 Likes

Maybe he could even join the beta

Think Episode 9 GIF by NBC

2 Likes

I have a homepod mini for this very same reason you are trying to do. An Apple user wanting homekit in an Android house. Funny enough my wife streams all her musics and podcasts to it even though we have a billion better speakers around :rofl:

1 Like

If she’s anything like my wife, it’s because Airplay (and handoff to a HPM) is easier than having to select a bluetooth speaker.

1 Like

Honestly I like the sound of the apple speakers much more than echos. Multiroom music is much better too. Now the echo has it all over apple on intercom...

No, I run Homebridge but still need a HomePod Mini for remote access. It acts as a border router to communicate the device info to the apple cloud securly. Normally all of the HK communication is done locally on LAN, as opposed to something like Alexa which is always cloud based. Probably why HK feel so much snappier.