HomeKit integration for Z-Wave switches

I'm pretty techy but am having a tough time figuring out how to use my Hubitat/HomeKit integration.

I've installed the Beta App and setup Hubitat as a Bridge with HomeKit. I've assigned my GE Z-Wave light switches to my HomeKit rooms... so far so good.

I basically understand the "Control Switch" vs "Programmable Button" distinction. I've separated the 8 accessories out of the group and think it's really cool that I have so much control over my switches inside the Home app...

BUT I can't for the life of me figure out how to have a simple HomeKit ON/OFF switch... which is really all I need. I've tried isolating the "Push #1" accessory to turn it on but it doesn't work... and also would require another switch to turn it off.

So I have two questions for the community and Hubitat gurus:

1. How do I use one of these accessories as a normal ON/OFF switch for my z-wave wall switches? They work great inside Hubitat and not at all inside the Home app.
  2. Does the "programmable button" item in the Home app actually change the behavior of the switch on the wall?

I've tried setting the "Button 1 Single Press" to turn ON the "Push #1" accessory but that doesn't work either and even if it did, that doesn't give me the answer to Question #1.

If a device can be both a button (with push/release/etc. capabilities) and a switch, it should show an options like this:
Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 6.43.27 PM

Clicking Switch (and confirming selection) will cause it to appear as a simple on/off switch.

1 Like

Thank you! My switches are GE Enbrighten Z-wave smart rockers. Two are motion activated version of the same. My list of devices shows up like this in the HomeKit beta app...

I'm trying to include a screenshot but the board won't allow it.. and it won't allow me to put in a dropbox link either. How can i share a screenshot with you?

Basically, though, I don't see the "export as: Button, Switch" below my devices in the list.

Join the owners group to get permission to send PMs and to post pictures

https://community.hubitat.com/g/owners

1 Like

This is what my list looks like.

Go to the very bottom and enabled the advanced feature to show accessory classes

Then your list will look more like this, and you can click the Export as: Switch link to force the device to be a switch when it goes to Homekit.

okay, I understand how it works now. Thank you! My suggestion for the next version of this integration would be to make the simpler implementation (switch only) the default one.

and thank you, Hubitat devs for building this HomeKit integration! I'm in heaven now that it exists because getting my z-wave devices to work in the Home app was literally the last piece of my complex puzzle (involving z-wave, hue, nest, ring, myQ, Arlo, Lutron, Tuya and Homebridge) and I wasn't able to get my Hubitat/Homebridge plugin to work... so this is great!

Final question: I have 2 lights with motion sensors in closets. It seems that Hubitat can only export those as switches or sensors... is that true? Is there a way to have those devices exported as two for HomeKit? This is a place I'd want more complexity because then I can use HomeKit automations to manage the light in those closets rather than the built in settings the switch has.

1 Like

Yeah I suggested that in the beta as well, I think the dev is busy trying to make everything work right first, before enhancing it.

I have some multi sensors and it is able to send all the sensor values which creates multiple accessories in HK that are bundled together.

With that advanced toggle on, get a screenshot of how the switch shows up in the integration app, I want to see if it is even picking up all the capabilities.

I would suggest using Room Lighting on Hubitat, or Rule Machine instead of making automations in Homekit.

@gopher.ny Any devices that use the GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switch DTH only show up as buttons, there is no option to change it to a switch or outlet. Can this be added?

Also, is it possible to allow any binary on/off device to be set as a light or outlet or switch so you can “Hey siri, turn off all the lights” and get the expected results regardless if the device the light is attached to is a switch, outlet, ect… ect…?

If you toggle "Show accessory classes and characteristics" at the very bottom of the integration app page, in Advanced section, it should show more options for each device. GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switch has both Pushable Button and Switch capabilities, so it should give options to pick one or another once switch is added to HomeKit.

I did that, and the option is not there for devices using that DTH. I see the option for other devices though.

Add a device to HomeKit first (checkbox on), and it will show additional options.
Maybe it should show additional options regardless. It was doing that before, but this new approach seems to be more confusing.

I agree, having all the options there upfront makes more sense and when i select it i see button and switch as options. Adding light as a selectable option would be a great addition too. THX for the help!

1 Like

It seems to be able to export either a motion sensor OR a switch to HomeKit, not both. I have my two switches set for one of each and they both work EITHER as a sensor or a switch but not both.
And yeah, I saw the Hubitat controls over those devices and setting the motion sensitivity and auto-off times there seems to be a better solution than HomeKit automations, at least for the standard auto-on, auto-off thing :slight_smile:

and @gopher.ny, I wonder if a drop down list would be the best UI for how to choose whether a device is a button or a switch, or a sensor or a switch. That, to me, seems like an obvious choice to make wheres the little blue links are a little unclear.

oh, and what should my expectations be regarding making changes in the Hubitat interface to when those changes show up in my Home app?

30 seconds or less if everything works right.

Something is off. If it's a switch with motion sensor, the motion sensor should appear as an extra (although not the other way around).

They have changed this in iOS 16, where my multi sensors no longer group together, instead they just show as all separate devices. I assume you have figured out where to see the "motion" detection? It is sort of hidden in the little status icons at the top.

I would definitely set it in HK integration as a switch, and I would expect it to also send the motion sensor as a separate device but there could be a bug going on here.

Thanks, all. Things are working pretty well now with HomeKit.

I'm trying to add the last of my z-wave switches to Hubitat now and having a few issues with the ones that won't factory reset (GE z-wave, 3 clicks up and 3 clicks down). It seems to work for most of my switches but not all. sigh.... good thing I'm a tech guy. This smart home â– â– â– â–  really isn't ready for the masses, huh?

Yeah I have thought about encouraging friends/family to do a setup like mine and then I realize they will be calling me every day when something isn't working as expected. So yeah nevermind just stick with your Wifi switches and bulbs and connect them to Alexa.

Although I dont know what has happened recently but with 2.3.4 and the Z-Wave 7.18 it is humming. My goodnight rule that shuts tons of stuff down for the night is always the test, seems to go off without a hitch every night now. If that works good I know my zwave is happy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.