Homekit integration failing

Hi All, need the community help here.
My Homekit integration is failing and I cannot find the reason why it is.
whenever I scan the qr code to add as accessory into home app, it either gives me an issue that the accesory is out of compliance or it will pair it but I dont see any accessory loading up, so if I try to scan the qr code again, it will pop up that the its already paired. So I have to unpair and try again - with the same cycle repeating.

Just to give my environment factors here:
HUb firmware version: 2.3.6.146 in C7
sitting on a static ip: 192.168.128.83(ethernet connected)
All my ethernet and wireless devices(including iphone) is sitting on 192.168.128.0/24 subnet.
Im using Iphone 15 pro - home app on that

What devices do you have authorized? I'd suggest starting with one or two simple devices. You can add more after you get Home paired. If you can find one where adding it starts to cause problems, you'll have an idea of where to start troubleshooting.

1 Like

Do you have an AppleTV or HomePod acting as an “Apple Home Hub” device on the same 192.168.128.0/24 network?

What home networking hardware are you using? Some of the “WiFi Mesh” networks can sometime cause interesting issues… :thinking:

1 Like

@bertabcd1234 @ogiewon

Please note that @user1572 has a second thread/post on the same topic here:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/homekit-integration-failing/105808/16?u=aaiyar

1 Like

Hi All, need the community help here.
My Homekit integration is failing and I cannot find the reason why it is.
whenever I scan the qr code to add as accessory into home app, it either gives me an issue that the accesory is out of compliance or it will pair it but I dont see any accessory loading up, so if I try to scan the qr code again, it will pop up that the its already paired. So I have to unpair and try again - with the same cycle repeating.

Just to give my environment factors here:
HUb firmware version: 2.3.6.146 in C7
sitting on a static ip: 192.168.128.83(ethernet connected)
All my ethernet and wireless devices(including iphone) is sitting on 192.168.128.0/24 subnet.
Im using Iphone 15 pro - home app on that

Nothing changed, but now home app accepted the qr code and allowed me to add the devices.
Ive now hit into another problem where the devices show up, they were showing current statuses for maybe 5 mins and now all of them go into a “updating” or “no response” cycle

Thanks!

And yeah, please don't do this. :slight_smile:

I've merged them into this topic, which should help you (OP) get better help.

4 Likes

apologies for that

Yes, I have an apple tv 4k on the subnet.
No wifi mesh, just a single AP with a single SSID

This integration is definitely half baked. I now have restarted this integration, used the "nuclear option" in homekit integration couple of times. Here is what I have found out.

If you have a bunch devices maybe more than 20(not sure what the limit is) and you check mark all of your devices in homekit integration, then integration will fail. Start with only 5 devices(switches ideally), and do the pairing with the qr code. Once that is done, then start adding all other devices in small batches.

So far I now have all the switches, lifx, philips hue and Nest successfully showing up with no issues on home app. But none of the motion sensors(sonoff, smarthings, thirdreality) and contact sensors are getting through to home app.

Would appreciate any guidance from anyone who has been through this exact scenario.

Contact and motion sensors do not show up on the “Home Page” of the Home app, they so up at the top of the page in the room they where assigned.

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch. Didnt know about that quirk in home app.
All devices are showing up now. If you add devices after the qr code integration part, then those devices show up in "Default room", so you will have to go there and add those to proper rooms.

Correct. That’s how every other HomeKit integration I know of also works.

2 Likes

That maybe so. there should be a best practice published for homekit integration is to not check all devices from the get go. Do it in small batches otherwise all devices show up with “no responses”.

I agree! Maybe they could even create an entire website of such things for the entire product, not just this app. Maybe they could also make it easy to get to using the "?" icon in the top right of the UI. :smile:

From;

That being said, your experience is a bit unusual, so:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: i just saw the video published by hubitat to get the homekit integration done. I dont remember it referencing to a page like the one you pointed above. wish I had seen that before and avoid the hours of pain.

Thanks for taking my humor as intended (I realize that could be read multiple ways). "They" is largely "me," and I like to point people to it whenever I can. :slight_smile:

1 Like