Homekit Integration [Beta] Button Support

I've noticed a few one-off posts regarding buttons and the Homekit Integration. While my use case is an Inovelli Red Switch [LZW30-SN converted to a button in the HE driver], my question to start is whether folks have been successful in automating button pushes more complex than a single press on devices controlled by HE and sent to Apple Home via the beta integration?

Using the community app Homebridge V2... I can select the Inovelli device for "Pushable Button" and separately for "Holdable Button." These show up as "Single Press" and "Long Press" in Apple Home --- and automations with these selections work.

Using the built-in integration...I can select the Inovelli device as a Button (after designating that capability). This shows up as three options "Single Press," "Double Press," and "Long Press." While I can automate the "Single Press" with the same result as Homebridge V2, there is no response for any entry in "Long Press."

Any suggestions @gopher.ny or others?

Noted, will check.

I have been trying to test buttons through HomeKit integration. However, when I change a device to a button it does NOT show up as a button. The device just disappears in Homekit. In Hubitat, I switch the device type from button back to switch, it then does show up as a switch.

Seems the button device type is not function properly inside homekit.

Not even in the room the device is assigned to?

You might look at the default room assigned to your HE devices brought over to HomeKit. Buttons in HomeKit are usually hidden from the “Home View” and so you typically need to click into the room to find the button.

That said, your results/situation might be different—and of course even when listed that’s not saying all the button options work properly.

Correct. Typically when I new device is added or even readded to goes to my default room where the Hubitat bridge lives. Any device I set as button type disappears and I cannot find it. I even go into the Hubitat bridge setting to see all the device presented to HomeKit, the button type devices do not show up. I also just updated Hubitat to the latest version 2.3.4.122.

Issue I have with buttons is it comes through as a “unconfigured” button and wants me to setup the push, hold, double tap through HomeKit vs just executing the already setup automations.

Thanks...updating now

Just adding to this thread. I have the same issues with the “long press” option with a Zooz Zen34 remote switch. Works perfectly in the Homebridge2 app but while I can get “push” and “double tap” to work in HomeKit integration the “long press” does not.

It the hub running 2.3.4.123? There is a fix for this issue in the latest (as of now) build.

That's what HomeKit buttons are. Apple wants hooks to set up their own automations as opposed to providing an interface to emit events that are handled elsewhere. Home app doesn't provide a programming interface or a UI to directly do what you're describing.

1 Like

Hadn’t noticed that new release so I updated HE and re-tested. Still did not work on my Zooz Zen34 but I only had time to do a super quick test before work. Will try again later and post an update.

Update: Zooz Zen34 using v.123
Long Press on Button 1 works fine
Long Press on Button 2 does not work

Buttons are showing up, but "This accessory requires a home hub to be used with the Home app" appears in the accessory details. It does not let me configure the actions, Single Press, Double Press, Long Press. They are all greyed out. In the Bridge menu it does take me to the Hubitat bridge. I then look at the Accessories for the Hubitat bridge and none of the buttons show up.

I figured out the issue. My "Test Home" did not have an Apple HomeHub associated / connected to it. So I took one of my AppleTV's and added it to my "Test Home". I am now able to configure the buttons. But doesn't work the way I had thought they would. Either tapping the "button" or "clicking" the button in either the iPhone or Mac just opens the accessory details. So devices presented as buttons through Hubitat really need to be physical buttons, and not a scene activator, group, or any other logical / virtual device. So groups and scenes really need to be presented as a switch and not a button.

I added a virtual button to use as a two button trigger for a webhook to synology to manually trigger an email when the internet stability is unable to support quickconnect relay. The buttons do not show up in homekit, I have a homepod and the buttons do not show up as unconfigured. I moved back to a switch and gave up. Is there a list of homekit supported virtual devices to save some experimentation? I have had good experience with virtual motion and virtual switch.

I have a GE Enbrighten ZWave plus dimmer that has double tap capability. However the Hubitat HomeKit App needs me to export it as one of the following 'Button, Dimmer, Light, Switch or Dimmable Light'
And the Home app does not show the button capabilities when using the Dimmable Light option.

Has anyone been able to expose all of these functionalities to the Home app at the same time?