HomeKit groups not updating and or reflecting a devices current state

It seems either HomeKit is not reaching out to Hubitat for device status, or Hubitat is not providing the devices current status and settings.

I have 4 Zigbee generic RGBW driver lights that I enable as individual lights to HomeKit. Within HomeKit I group the 4 lights into a single light. However, when I change the lights with either a scene or direct changes from within Hubitat, HomeKit never updates the devices correct and current configuration.

Check the device’s page and make sure that the lights are properly updating there (sending a report back to HE). I’m not seeing this behavior with mine. What bulbs are they? Do they work with the Advanced Zigbee RGBW driver?

Hubitat is either not properly getting updated when the lights are turn via the switch that used zigbee associations or via Alexa (not 100% on this one). Which in turn does NOT update Homekit.

The lights are currently off and have been off or a while, but hubitat has not updated the device handler with the lights current configuration. I think hubitat should do periodic device configuration checks to help out with this issue. If I use hubitat to change the lights settings it does update homekit as expected and vice versa. I think the issue is with the switch itself and not reporting back to hubitat because it only used zigbee association to control lights. I will have to hit up the Inovelli team about this.

Do you mean Z-Wave associations? Z-Wave associations communicate with each other directly, thus bypassing the hub and not sending status updates.

I don't think it matters with type of Association, zigbee or zwave. However, I am using a zigbee switch (Inovelli Blue) with 4 zigbee RGBW recessed lights.

What I have discovered with using associations to control a device, is that it doesn't update the bridge, Hubitat. The switch will just talk directly to the associated lights.

Thinking through the technicality of the process, I would be great if Hubitat would see those direct association signals and commands, process them and cause Hubitat to do a device refresh.

I have the same issue. I have 30 z-wave devices (mostly light switches) and HomeKit does not reflect the status change when I switch the light on with the wall switch.

HomeKit through smarthings used to do this, so it must be possible.

Has anyone else managed to figure out a workaround?

For the time being, let’s ignore HomeKit and first make sure your Z-Wave devices are updating their status in Hubitat. Open up the device details page for one of the misbehaving devices, and then manually turn the switch on and off. Does the “switch” attribute update it status correctly on the Hubitat device details page? If not, then the problem is probably not related to the HomeKit integration.

Older Z-Wave (not Z-Wave Plus) devices often did not report manual status updates due to patent/licensing issues. IIRC, that patent expired and Z-Wave Plus devices due support instant status updates. Hubitat does have a Z-Wave Poller app that can help keep the status of these old devices up to date, but it will not be instantaneous.

I replace all of my old non-plus Z-wave switches and dimmers with Lutron Caseta. Much, much more reliable for my needs. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thought about this so I installed the z-wave poller to remove the hubitat z-wave refresh variable. Will test and collect the correct detailed information and post in a follow up response.

I noticed the following so far:

• when I switch on a light at the wall switch hubitat does not reflect the change until I press on the poll button.
  • I have poller app installed and the devices selected. It does not look like the poller app ever polls and updates the state in hubitat.
  • this all worked when I was using smartthings as a hub for all me devices. I don't know if that was polling or based on the switches reporting their state.
  • I am using leviton bought of a period of 3 years. There are three types. One with a paddle that pops out when you press it at the top, one that looks similar and pairs with the same sequence but does not pop out and then one version that does not pop up and can rock. That has a slightly different pairing sequence.
  • my mesh network has strong connectivity throughout the house.

Next up I will try to update device firmware.

But why would the poller not work?

This is the best plan for older Leviton Z-Wave devices. I hope it resolves the issue.

I am not sure. As I mentioned, I ditched Z-Wave years ago, and thus I am not much of a SME on Z-Wave. There are others in the community that have massive Z-Wave mesh networks that works extremely well. If desired, I would recommend starting a new thread as it appears the issue is really not "HomeKit" related, but rather Leviton Z-Wave device related.

1 Like