Homekit Devices not Responding

I have a Habitat Elevation, and have a big issue that is becoming a pain.
Every time that there is an energy outage, all my devices stop working in my HomeKit.
As a consequence I loose all the scenes set and there is no way to restart and make it work. I have already tried, reboot all devices together, had tried them by separate, and got the the conclusion that delete and reinstall the hub is the solution. So for several times, I need to Delete the Hub, and reinstall device by device, and restore my scenes on HomeKit.
I have like 20 devices (mainly light switches, and light strips), so it doesn't take me forever. But as I live in Florida and during the summer and raining months this becomes more frequent, I had to do it already 6 or 7 times this past two months.
Anyone has a solution for this?
Does this happen to anyone else?

Obob,

I've had several power outages earlier this year, but fortunately our power co-op has been proactive and it's calmed down significantly. Even though I can get power from a generator after the fact, it's not automatic.

The experience lead me to get extra UPS's to insure the AppleTV, the Mini's, Hubitat, and Hue bridges (along with all the other devices like the router and switches) stay working when power drops.
NOTE: The sometimes suggested Konnected Mini DC UPS power bank won't power the C-8 hub, though it does the earlier models).

Hubitat has backups that should be stored for emergencies like this. For HomeKit, there's a Controller For Homekit app (controllerforhomekit.com) that gives a bit more insight/control for HomeKit, and it also backs up the HK system (recommended).

That's all I've got to offer at the moment (unless you want to talk about Tesla Power Banks for the Home [grin-duck]).

...bob

Thank you bob.
I don't think this is what I am looking for. I was checking if that has happen to someone else. And if it did, how do they solved the problem.
It may be a configuration, or something else. I just don't want to add to the system with more apps, or more layers.
Thank you anyways.

I gave experience. . .

1. Backup data

2. Avoid power losses to Hubs that hold your home apps, at the very least. In your case to the AppleTV or HomePod, and the Hubitat Hub. If you are running HomeKit from a phone/tablet. . . that complicates matters (and I only have experience with an Apple HK hub).

3. Follow Steps to restore backed up data, should it become necessary.

This is how one prepares to recover from problems of this nature.

We each take what we deem to be affordable risks when it comes to items #1 & #2. Until those risks become unsustainable, that is.

1 Like

I can yank the plugs directly on homekit and hubitat and everything is fine at reboot. Likely it is NOT either your homekit hubs nor hubitat. The likely culprit is your router not booting up ahead of the hubs so the hub(s) aren't grabbing the ip's quick enough and so homekit doesn't see your Hubitat. Give this a shot. Put your router (and any wifi AP's) on a UPS, then simulate a power outage on homekit and hubitat and see if things are ok when they come back up.

2 Likes

I wonder, if not going the battery backup route, you could use something like a ZEN04 plug on the hub that can do a delayed autostart.

Not sure how that would work for hubitat as the hubitat would have to be up and running to activate it. You essentially would be unplugging it after it rebooting which would run the risk of corruption.

1 Like

It's independent of the hub. I have multiple plugs set up so that when power is restored, they wait a minute before powering up. (That was part of a yet-unrealized scheme of load shedding for generator...probably will go nowhere). You adjust parameters of the plug.

That's a great idea. I'll try that.
But I afraid that this is not the case, because the devices are still "No responsive" after several hours and days.
once I came back home from a trip and my wife was freeking out because she couldn't turn of a couple of lights that are out of reach and they were not working in her HomeKit. But this is definitely something that I will try tonight.

Ok, Thank you for the tip, I'll try that as well.