Homekit breaks things again

up until the last update from apple i was able to say "Hey Siri i'm in the kitchen" and a switch would turn on and keep the lights a full brightness for 1 hour. now when i say it siri responds with do you want me to turn it on or off. why cant apple just leave things alone.

does anyone know a work around to keep this functionality going.

Just to clarify, you didn’t configure a shortcut or Apple home automation to do this?

No. i have no apple automations or shortcuts. everything is controled via hubitat rules.

i just changed the switch name to Cooking Lights. so now i can say "Hey Siri turn on the Cooking Lights"

This works but i don't understand why they even forced the change on how it reacts to a command.

Haven’t heard of this as a Siri feature previously.

I just gave it a try and said, “Hey Siri I’m in the bedroom.” She told me the air quality is great in here. Same thing for most other rooms, although if I say I’m in the garage, she tells me the garage door is closed :man_shrugging:.

If you didn’t configure an automation yourself, how would Siri have known that you wanted the lights to turn on to 100% for one hour just because you’re in the kitchen?

1 Like

In homekit create a scene called

in that scene, have the switch you want on… on. the light should turn on with this phrase consistently.

1 Like

i thought of that also. my objective is to have nothing in homekit that controls something in hubitat. I only use the homekit home app to view the status of things. all automation is done in hubitat.

I don’t see any other way than to create an automation in the Apple Home app or the Shortcuts app with a specific action that is triggered by your preferred spoken phrase.

actually I do have one. i was using the good night scene to turn off everything. but that now also asks me if i want to turn it on or off.

Mine started doing the same thing. I have a scene in Homekit to turn on a virtual switch. Now it asks me "on or off". Didn't use to do that.

These seem to contradict each other. UNLESS, the switch in the first post was NOT controlled by Hubitat.

How did that work? Just curious?:face_with_monocle:

Mine is doing the same also, Apple must of changed something.

I suppose there are certain phrases that can get Siri to trigger an action, regardless of whether one has specifically configured a Shortcut or Apple Home routine.

OP and others affected by this would probably have to find out more from Apple how this is intended to work, and what, if anything, changed recently.

Having said that, the only way to definitely get Siri to take the action(s) you want her to take when triggered by specific spoken phrases is to configure an automation yourself.

3 Likes

But isn't that what I am doing by creating a scene in Homekit that turns on (or supposed to turn on) a virtual switch in HE?

And I think the main gist of this is, it used to work fine and now it works differently when nothing has changed on the user end.

Yes. But I’m not sure if you’re experiencing the same issue as the OP.

OP stated they never created a Siri shortcut or HomeKit automation.

If you did, I would expect it to do what you configured it to do. Maybe share a screenshot from the Home app?

Maybe I misunderstood what the original OP was saying.

But in my instance I have a Homekit Scene that is programmed to turn on a virtual switch in HE. I say the name of the Scene and Homekit turns the switch on. Or that's what it has always done for several months. No back talk, no nothing.

But now when I say the name of the Scene it asks if I want to turn it on or off. If I reply 'ON" then it turns it on. Just never had to do that before.

And that is what the change is. It's no big deal, just a little annoying.

OP did not previously create an automation himself.

But you did create a scene yourself. So that’s why I say I’m uncertain if you’re facing the same exact issue as the OP.

Your scene should do what you configured it to. OP didn’t configure anything, so no one except maybe the Apple developers working on Siri could reliably comment on what’s expected vs. unexpected in his case.

Perhaps Apple changed something that is impacting you both? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The "I'm in the kitchen" is a virtual switch in hubitat that i published to HomeKit. The goodnight scene is also created in hubitat that happens to be the same as a default scene in HomeKit. I also published it to HomeKit. So i suppose the scene from hubitat overwrote the HomeKit scene. Prior to the upgrade these would just turn on when i would say "hey Siri good night" or "hey Siri I'm in the kitchen". Now Siri forces me to use on or off with these to make them work. so i renamed the I'm in the kitchen to kitchen occupancy. So now i say "hey Siri turn on kitchen occupancy" this extends the detection of no motion so the lights do go out while im cooking and not moving around.

don't get me wrong i don't dislike apple. i'm just trying to swap out/away from any products that require sending data out to be used. that will likely mean i eventually get rid of all apple product.s. but as it stands now.. apple is the only smart tech that requires internet access. the rest of my IOT is blocked from internet and even blocked from all the other subnets.

One important question. Do you have a Home Hub?
Or are you just sending the Siri request to your phone?

I think somewhere along the line, maybe iOS 17.?, Apple started requiring a Home Hub to do Scenes in addition to automations, but you can still control a device (or switch)without a hub.

That could be the reason why you need to say on or off.

I have multiple HomePod, HomePod Mini and Apple TV.
Until about 5 months ago everything was running in apple ecosystem. When i got the hubitat i moved everything to it.

I came up with a better solution then saying hey siri turn on occupancy lights. Currently i had a motion detection turn on the light at 40% and turn it off if no motion. ~30 seconds. I used the occupancy switch to override it and keep it on for 2 minutes. If no motion after 2 minutes then it would shut off.

Now i have an additional rule that waits for 45 seconds of motion. Then it turns on the occupancy switch for me. So i no longer need to say hey siri to turn it on, and if im just walking through the kitchen it ony comes on for 30 seconds.