Homekit automation and hubitiat

Aqara water sensor with Aqara m2 hub

Which particular model number of sensor? There are Hubitat drivers for some of them.

@user4627 I've never seen that error before myself. Have you tried building the rule in HSM? Can you post a screenshot of the error?

_ttps://ibb.co/ykhxXq1
_ttps://ibb.co/wBwp4jf

Replace underscore (_) with an h

If you wanna paste screen shots here just join the owners group Hub owners - Hubitat

That way you don't have to link elsewhere :slight_smile:

Oh I see... Ok...Soif it's not working at that point I would use virtual contact switches.

I’m guessing this is an older aqara sensor? Since the model # in your screenshot (assuming that’s what AS010 is) doesn’t match the model # of the water sensor on Aqara’s website.

While you could try to pair the sensor directly to Hubitat, assuming it’s a zigbee device, you may run into issues if it is in fact an older generation aqara device.

Re: the error you’re getting in the Apple Home app. I don’t use the Hubitat built-in HomeKit integration yet, but I do use Homebridge. Homebridge is an uncertified bridge as well, but that has never prevented me from creating an automation in the Home app.

Granted, about 99% of my automations are created directly in my Hubitat hub’s UI, but there are a few specific circumstances when an Apple Home automation is useful, so I have a few of those.

Can you post in more detail what steps you are taking to create an automation in the Home app? If you follow @rlithgow1’s link above, you can join the Hub owners group and then you’ll be able to post images and links directly in this thread.

1 Like

It’s the latest one. I bought them from Amazon a week or two ago.

Have you seen this thread?

Is it the Aqara Leak sensor that is not selectable in a HK automation? If so, that appears to be "normal" based on the above thread. Or is it the valve that cannot be added to the HK automation?

1 Like

None of them are showing for automation. I used a third-party app to create the needed automation. It might be a HomeKit app limitation but I have a Flume water sensor that shows in the original Homekit app and I had a much cheaper Tuya-enabled water shut-off valve that also showed up and I was able to create automation in the native app. I am not exactly sure why some brands are showing some are not in the native home kit app. The third party app solved the problem.

1 Like

Perhaps it would help if you shared an image of the sensor itself with the model # clearly visible, or the Amazon page.

I don’t know what AS010 is, but both the Aqara website and this Amazon listing show a leak sensor model # as SJCGQ11LM.

Why is this important? Because if that’s the leak sensor you have, then my next question would be why keep it on the Aqara hub at all? It will pair directly to Hubitat as a zigbee 3.0 sensor. Then you can use Hubitat’s many automation options.

The apple home app is great as a device dashboard or for notifications. But its options for automation logic are very limited.

1 Like

Ok so idk where HomeKit was getting that model from but here is the correct model number.

1 Like

That model definitely works directly with Hubitat. You’ll need a custom driver, for eg., one from @chirpy or @veeceeoh.

right now my setup is the aqara hub and 6 water sensors working through homekit to alert me of a leak. I also have a automation to play an alert sound through my homepod mini. the bulldog water valve is connected through the hubitat and the homekit integration so i can easily control it in homekit. as of right now, if I were to get an alert i would have to manually control it through the Home app.

my goal is for it to automatically to shut the valve off incase i missed the alert and wasn't around to hear the alert. also for it to play the alert through homepod and a notification on my phone. my entire house is plumbed with the polybutylene pipes and i have had some close calls on floods but was lucky to catch them in time before they became a huge issue.

i was wanting to do an automation where if the aqara hub triggers it would control the water valve and also play an alert sound on the homepod mini.

when I added the water valve into homekit it added the valve but also added 4 mode switches which don't do anything. I don't know what they do or if they can do what I want the valve to do.

I hope this may clear up some things, I'm new to the whole hubitat thing and don't know much about it but I'm slowly learning.

I have the same setup as you - Aqara m2 hub, Aqara water sensors, HomePod mini, but I also have Sonos speakers throughout.

I had luck building the same automation/rule you are looking for entirely through hubitat secure monitoring app.

I took all of my Aqara stuff off the m2 hub and set it all up directly with hubitat.

Here comes my dilemma/reason why I cannot buy any more smart speakers until this settles. Currently, the Sonos integration makes text to speech through hubitat effortless.

I built my tule to announce “water leak in ___” through the Sonos speakers when the leak sensors trigger.

However, since I am running HomeKit front end and hubitat backend — the HomePod mini and Sonos speakers both give me FOMO in their own regard.

-HomePod mini text to speech through hubitat is doable I think, but not as plug and chug as sonos.

-sonos speakers are the clear winner for me until I realize I miss out on “hey siri” support which my wife and I both use.

Looking again at the product page, I can’t actually tell if this is a Zigbee 3.0 sensor?

1 Like

It isn’t. But it stays stably paired unlike many other Aqara sensors. @SmartHomePrimer was the first to point that out.

2 Likes

So @user4627 if I were you, I’d pair the sensor directly to Hubitat, and use Hubitat’s automation apps like Basic Rules or Hubitat Safety Monitor to close the water valve when the leak sensor is tripped.

2 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t recommend putting a safety device into a hybrid HomeKit/Hubitat setup. Join them directly to Hubitat.

If you just want to see their status in HomeKit, that’s a different story, but don’t rely on HomeKit connections for the device itself. Not stable enough.

An exception to devices of almost any kind on another hub would be HA with Home Assistant Device Bridge. That’s been very stable for more than two years now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.