Homekit: 3 way switch not showing in homekit correctly

I have two sets of lights that have three way HomeSeer ZWave switches (one in the stairs, one in the main hall) The rest of the house has HomeSeer dimmers.
The dimmers are working fine with HomeKit, but the 3 Way Switches show as "buttons" in the Homekit integration app and have no lights attached. They show up in Homekit as buttons that I can program to do other things, but without the associated light. I've use the Homebridge V2 app with Homebridge with these same switches for a couple years now and they show up fine as light switches, just like the dimmers.

Is there a configuration I need to change to fix this?

In the switch config inside of Hubitat they are listed as "Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Switch"
Note: these are not the newer HS-WX300 switches, I'm not sure the exact model off the top of my head and am not finding the older model numbers via a quick google search. They might be HS-WS100 and HS-WA100

Go to the bottom of the integration app and turn on the Advanced Settings.
Go back to the switches in the list (probably listed as buttons).
Change the type to Switch, after a few minutes they should change over to switches in Homekit.
Can also uncheck them and then re-check them to speed up the process.

@gopher.ny Here is another vote for making switch/button combo devices default to export as a switch and not a button.

1 Like

Sweet, that worked great! I needed to change it from a switch to a light in HomeKit but that was no big deal.
Thank you for the help.

Yes that is common to have to set your switches in HK unless the driver has the "Light" capability on it, then you can send it to HK directly as a light.

Got it, thanks!
I got it all working but after 20 or so hours all of the accessories from Hubitat were not responding in the Home app. Clicking "Restart integration" fixed it bu I also restarted Hubitat just for giggles.
I did uninstall the Homebridge app and cleaned up a few other things a few hours ago. Not sure if that was related or not.
I see in some other threads others having the "it stops working" issues too.
I can keep reporting here if it does it again or in one of the other threads, whichever you'd prefer.

One other question / observation. I've noticed that the first time I turn a light on in the Home app it takes substantially longer then subsequent actions. And by subsequently longer I mean maybe a little less than a full second, say 800ms or so. Is this a startup cost of some kind?

Thanks for getting this working, very cool.

I was in a similar situation with Zigbee. Had it all setup with homebridge, then the integration showed up. I was running both the integration and homebridge (which was probably sending redundant messages). Everything seemed to be working fine. I took one zigbee switch off of the homebridge and noticed it was much more responsive.

Today I finally unplugged the homebridge and I'm running 100% on the integration. The only thing I had to do was re-establish my mirror settings.
4 switches to control 2 lights in the upstairs hallway. 2 sets of 2 switches are paired in Zigbee, so that they are setup as "3 way" switches for the top of stairs and end of hall lights. I then use the mirror app to have each "3 way switch pair" mirror what the other one does. Net result: hit any of the 4 switches to turn on or off both lights simultaneously.

Still having problems with all of the devices from the Homekit integration app not responding after some time. Restarting the integration fixes it but it break again after a few hours. No idea why.
Is this a known issue or something on my end?

Have you updated to hub firmware 2.3.4.123? That seems to have fixed it for me.
Also after restarting the integration check if you have any devices still listed as "Not Reposnding" in the errors at the top of the Home app. I had one sensor it did not seem to like and I disabled it. Now it seems like the integration is staying connected.

Yes, I am on 2.3.4.123, have been since it came out.
I do have Hubitat behind and http reverse proxy (nginx) for https support and I'm seeing some of these messages.
[dev:97](https://hubitat.sarg3.net/logs#)2022-12-24 04:07:15.376 PM[warn](https://hubitat.sarg3.net/logs#)failure message from web socket failure: No route to host (Host unreachable)

Next build.

Is the hub running on external WiFi USB stick or does this happen with built-in Ethernet?

Built in ethernet
I should probably mention that I'm on iOS 16.2 and have switched Homekit to the new architecture. That's actually what prompted me to switch from the Homebridge plugin to the Homekit integration app, the new architecture broke my wifes ability to get added to the home so I had to use Apples super secret reset profile to start over. To be clear, the Homekit integration app hub and all of the devices were added after my homekit was reset and was a fresh empty home.

The plot thickens. Everything from the Hubitat Homekit app was offline a while back (last night? Don't remember) and I was about to restart the integration and figured I'd check on it again and all the devices are responding now. So, it seems to stop and start working on its own for some reason. Hmm, I just checked and I do have backups scheduled for 2:15 in the morning, so maybe something in that process restarted the app?

This morning all the devices were still unreachable, so I guess the reset after a backup theory is incorrect.

Do you have a combination of HomePod(s) and Apple TV(s) working as home hubs? It would be under Home Settings - Home Hubs and Bridges.

Is there a particular home hub that is connected when nothing responds, and other home hubs are on standby?

I do. Four of my homebods (2 OG and 2 minis) are showing up and the one in the main bedroom is currently connected. I'll keep an eye on when things stop responding and let you if it changes.

1 Like

Just wanted to drop a quick update on this. I haven't caught it stop working since my last post 8 days ago. I hadn't change anything at all, so I don't know what might have caused it to become stable.
I did just now update to 2.3.4.130 so here's hoping it stays stable. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.