Homebridge vs built in homekit

when the built in first came out it didnt support some devices. Now i was under the impression that garage doors and locks work now.

so any reason to use homebridge vs the build in homekit stuff?

The only reason I still use the Homebridge-V2 app is for Apple's Adaptive lighting (which has high WAF) and HSM control. Everything else is using the Homekit app.

1 Like

There may be if you want something the built-in integration doesn't support, such as HSM status or ... another difference that will be there in the next platform release that is currently in beta but doesn't affect 2.3.6 since you can't use these devices at all in 2.3.6, much less with HomeKit. :slight_smile: Or the difference mentioned above, or maybe other minor feature differences.

But if the built-in app supports everything you need, and it probably will for most users, then it's certainly an easier option and probably the best choice.

Worth noting that Hub mesh devices are also not supported with the inbuilt HomeKit app. So if you want devices from multiple hubs you have to setup HomeKit on each hub and share that way and add each hub as a separate accessory.

1 Like

The Tonesto7 Homebridge app seems to handle some devices better than the built in integration. For example, I have a GE motion dimmer that uses the community driver. The Homebridge app handles it fine out of the box. The built in integration requires running the driver in child device mode otherwise only the motion sensor shows up in Apple Home.