Home Wi-Fi confusion

When I run WiFi Analyzer on my phone, I get the following information about my home WiFi. I have a Netgear R6400v2 set up as an access point. But why does it show two WiFi signals with the same name? One of them is CH 11. The other is CH 11(9). What does 11(9) mean?

Is it just the one netgear device you’re using as an access point? Or are there any other access points or other extenders in the house?

This seems similar to another thread you posted a few weeks ago:

1 Like

You are correct about the similar post. I have a Netgear X6S EX8000 WiFi extender as well. I upgraded from the C7 to the C8 today and I am wondering if I can get rid of the extender. I am not very savvy with networking stuff, thus my similar post today.

It's the same answer as last time. That is a 20 MHz signal on channel 11, and a 40 MHz signal on channel 11 bonded to channel 6, which ends up centered on channel 9, hence the 11(9) displayed.

2 Likes

I guess I need to do a little reading. I don't really understand what that means.

There are two because you have the main router and the extender both broadcasting a network. They use the same ssid so on devices it just looks like one network.

Also you should switch the 40 hz one down to 20. The wide band just clogs up the already crowded 2.4 ghz space.

5 Likes