Home location update options

I'm not new to home automation, I've had wink since the wink2 hub was released. With the recent changes to wink I've moved to HE, and I'm extremely happy with it and the features. With the ability to have a local control opened a whole new world for me, as I am going to integrate a system into my RV / Camper as well (lights, alarms slides, awnings ect, I'll be intergrating everything I can, some systems unfortunately only have Bluetooth sensors (tank levels, power management, battery monitor) so I'm still figuring that all out). With that I'm working out a smart lock option for the camper (that's providing to be one of the biggest challenge of the camper) but I want to set up the alarm to set by prescene home/away, but it's not always in the same location.

I know I can update the location moving the pin, but it's a bit of a pain in the rear, especially if we end up moving every couple days on a road trip. So a way to easily update the 'home' hub location would be helpful... If the pin would just move when I picked location that would be awesome, I don't mind setting it, it's just the only search option I've found is by zip code the moving the pin which can be difficult to do, so any suggestions, ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

This post might steer you in the direction of asking the poster about similar experiences?

Awesome, thank you, I tried searching for campers before I posted but it didn't find that, and RV was to short to search on it's own.

"RV camper" did the trick. Good luck!

1 Like

Are you using this just for presence or for time based automations also?
If presence only, think about getting a smartthings arrival sensor, or using the wifi solution available in the community. Both work great.
If for time based automations, that's going to be a little tricky. I know only one person (expert of rv's) that I would go to for that answer @srwhite . Who is, in fact, on an RV trip as we speak, but never far away when we need him. Perhaps he will find time to weigh in on your dilemma.

1 Like

The main thing is to trigger a scene if we leave to change the rig to 'away' mode. Turn off the water, set the alarm. I'll probably set it automatically most of the time, but in the odd instance I'm already out and my wife leaves and forgets to see it, bring able to automatically set is the main goal honestly.

It knowing we're coming back and adjusting some of the settings as well would be nice, but not required, such as outside lights turning on if it's after dark when we hit the geofence would be a plus but not the top of my list.

I would say that a couple of smartthings arrival sensors would probably do the trick. If you're going to have wifi, then that is an option as well. the system will see your phone connect and control the mode. There is a community created driver for it, but I can't think of the name right now and I'm not a home to look.

1 Like