Home Backup Generator - Reporting?

I tried that actually... and a Fibaro motion sensor. I've never been able to get a sensor to stay connected. Likely because the generator is off the back deck (because of noise) and because it is in a metal box with metal-backed noise and heat shields :slight_smile:

Generac's Mobile Link app has been updated to include Alexa support via a new Skill.

I know so little - but does that mean that the API is possibly exposed for use in Hubitat?

Generally speaking, the existence of an Alexa skill for a device doesn’t imply much in terms of whether that device has an API that can be accessed and turned into a functional integration for Hubitat.

2 Likes

Maybe if you called Mobile Link, somebody there would know. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

1 Like

They are pretty opposed to anyone accessing the system. I really doubt they will have an open API. You also have to factor in someone taking the time to build an app or driver for this theoretical API.

Not saying that none of that can't happen, but it is very unlikely.

For those using Genmon, I’d love to get your perspective.

I just installed IotaWatt which uses current transformers (CTs) at the electrical service panel to monitor power by circuit. Several of the CTs are monitoring individual appliances on the generac panel currently. Which brings me to the questions:

1. Could I infer whether my Generac generator is operating just by observing power consumption? Mine is natural gas like most everyone, so I’m skeptical.
  2. Assuming I could, are there meaningful insights one can get from genmon beyond generator on/off?

Thanks guys.