Home Automation and WAF

First of all - Happy New Year!

I am running relatively complex Home Automation (C7, C8, HA). Generally my wife likes all these
things and as a result WAF is very high (so far). By this time near 100% is true automated and requires very minimal interactions. For manual controls I am using number of ZEN32 5-buttons
wall mounted Scene Controllers. They are doing very nice job but the problem is - it is very hard
to memorize what button does what. For this reason using "double click" and "long press" is not
allowed at all (silently I am using these functions). Attempts to somehow label buttons did not
work (I tried unsuccessfully many different labeling tricks). So, I was thinking about using
Touchscreen Panel as a Scene Controller and came across ready-to-go Sonoff NSPanel.
"As is" it is not very useful but relatively easy could be hacked with very nice and powerful
ESPHome project (integration requires Home Assistant which I already have in place).
I spent about a day and got everything working and integrated with HE via HA+HADB.
First project is/was targeted to replace ZEN32 in Kitchen. Here is a picture of customized NSPanel for Kitchen:

But I am glad, I showed it to my five before replacing ZEN32 in Kitchen.
I was really surprised by her first reaction. She sad: "I am using only two buttons and I know
very well what they are doing. Please stop yours unnecessary improvements. Everything
already works very well, etc...". But after few minutes she came back and said: "Could you
please replace that thing in a Living Room? Occasionally I need to turn On/Off lights and fans
manually but I really cannot remember which button does what".
I said, sure this will be done. All what i will have to do - is to retype electronic labels and
reassign more appropriate icons to each button. Now this will be very easy task.

7 Likes

LOL...you are smarter than a good many of us, I'm sure! :wink:

I have done some home automations "solo" and then proudly unveiled them for my wife and then paused for applause that never came. :scream:

Very cool that she had an alternate need that this fits and you could adjust it quickly and easily. Big win, I'd say. :smiley: The device looks sweet.

Curious about the size of your device...can you provide measurements or a picture that has something to compare it to?

6 Likes

Divorced in November, so no longer applicable. :slight_smile:

I don't think Home Automation was a factor.
However, my MAGAtudeness, was cited.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your divorce, not fun.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this.

1 Like

Long time coming. For the best.

Why not use custom-etched buttons for the Zen32?

A. These custom-etched buttons are more expensive than ZEN32 itself.
B. Periodically buttons gets reassigned functions.

Other than the NSPanel can be installed in an existing single-gang box so a cleaner install, what are the benefits over using a $30 prepaid Android phone?

I was thinking about using cheap wifi only Android phone with nice looking Dashboard.
But phone installation couldn't be looking nice unless a very custom mounting hardware
could be designed and built. Plus NSPanel has 2 built-in relays, 2 physical buttons and
temp sensor.

That's what I struggle with too. I have a tablet stuck to side of kitchen cabinet using 3M Command Strips that put it only 12" from an outlet. I have a smart plug there to turn on/off power based on battery level.

My wife said NO WAY for any tablets on a walls.

In that case, congratulations on the divorce! I was ecstatic when mine when through….

Why is divorce so expensive? Because it’s WORTH IT!!!

3 Likes

Yeah I've had three expensive escapes. Fortunately 4th time's been lucky. Silver anniversary in 2025.

3 Likes

If I don't use a double-click or hold routine often, then I forget what it does.
If I do use those routines often, then I try to figure out a way to predict and automate.
Catch 22. Reminds me that I should revisit all of my button control rules.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.