Home Alarm Integration

my current Ademco/Honeywell Alarm system is old and probably time to replace it. What if any alarm system integrate with Hubitat?

thanks

Not sure you need to replace it... I have an Ademco / Honeywell panel that integrates quite well with HE. I've found it more beneficial to leave the stand-alone alarm system in place and running and augment its functionality with HE rather than scrap it and start from scratch. I have a Vista 20 panel and am using an envisalink board to handle the integration.

1 Like

brad5,
thanks, can you give me some more info on the integration?

I have the Vista 20 panel also

Sure!

The hardware is a board that acts like a keypad with a telnet interface. It's pretty straightforward to install and program, though you will need your alarm panel's installer code (or you can reset it pretty easily). You can actually use the board to subscribe to a monitoring service if you want, It comes with its own cloud service and app (no fees) but I disabled all that with a firewall rule and just use it locally. I still have it professionally maintained and monitored through a local alarm company, just not via the Envisalink board.

https://www.eyezon.com/evl4.php

There are two different versions of the integration, one that runs solely on HE and one that offloads a lot of the work to a third device running NodeProxy. I use the first option. It actually works really well with HSM, though it is a bit chatty. I ended up offloading all of my security rules and integrations to a separate hub, but that doesn't have to be the case.

Here's the envisalink thread:

On my panel I set up the integration to talk directly to HSM, and I can access the sensors on the panel directly, even if the alarm is not armed. It's kind of handy especially since the alarm system's motion detectors are pet-friendly!

1 Like

@SteveP , I agree 100% with @brad5 . I have been using Envisalink integration with my DSC panel to interface flawlessly with Hubitat. I use my hardwired and wireless sensors for security status via Hubitat, as well as using my sensors (PIR, door/window contacts, etc) for various home automation routines via Hubitat. Big advantage is that you maintain use of all keypads, and have a dedicated, purpose build and certified SECURITY system (for insurance purposes etc). DO NOT rely on systems that utilize a home automation hub (i.e., not purpose built for security or safety) for the main security/safety functions. With the Envisalink integration, Hubitat merely acts as an “add on” to your home security system which enables home automation using your existing sensors.

1 Like

@moh
it wasn't my intention to use Hubitat as the alarm. i want a 'certified' system for insurance as you said.

i was just wanting a way to either integrate current system Vista panel or just replace it all to something new.

the possibility of integration with current system that seems best path. i want the easiest method. i don't want to have a separate Linux system..

is this the device? EnvisaLink 4 New EVL4 DSC & Honeywell Compatible Internet Interface Module

That looks like the one. FYI it does not support wifi so plan accordingly. And don't forget you'll need the installer code for your system. Usually your alarm company is a little reluctant to give it out, so I just reset mine and changed it. That freaked my alarm company out a bit when I had them come wire in some additional CO detectors but they managed :slight_smile: And when they tested the CO sensor my automation kicked in, which they thought was pretty cool.

The only thing to keep in mind is if you have multiple partitions, is that the version that runs on HE does not support multiple partitions.

2 Likes

currenlty i have the Total Connect app that i can arm/disarm the alarm. also can connect to the panel using WiFi

i do have the installer code.

does this board go in place of or added into the current system?

i want SIMPLE

only one partition so not an issue for me

thanks

It's a small board with four wires. The board is mounted inside your existing cabinet with sticky tape and you connect the four wires to the panel itself. Take a look at the instructions here...

The TC app will continue to work, though honestly once I set up rules to manage arming and disarming the system I never use it.

PS: Make sure you have a DHCP reservation for Envisalink. It needs to keep the same IP address.

thanks,

so it appears I need wifi rj45 at the panel location.. that will be a challenge if possible

There are ways to get around not having an RJ45 at the panel. Assuming you have a power outlet, which you must have to power the panel. You can use a wifi range extender. I tried several and for some reason they would not work in the closet where my panel is. I ended up using powerline ethernet adapters by Brite-view.

1 Like

@SteveP , I was away at work so did not get to your question about simplicity and wiring but it looks like @brad5 and @Sakman have you well covered. Except for the RJ45, the board just wires into the main panel exactly as though it were a keypad (same 4 color-coded bus wires, very simple). Some others in this community have used the Konnected system to integrate with Hubitat as Hubitat now supports Konnected. However, initially, when I first integrated my existing DSC system with Hubitat, I tried both, and IMHO Envisalink is FAR, FAR superior (far less wiring, lower cost, fewer modules…meaning only one, and to your point, FAR, FAR simpler for the same functionality, especially using the integration hosted on the HE hub, although it is a bit “chatty” and only allows for one partition). Good luck with your system!

thanks....

i was hoping for a Z-Wave module to interface to the alarm thus no need for WiFi at the panel.

but hope isn't a very good strategy.

i am not keen on the idea of yet another device WiFi-Ethernet adapter or Ethernet over power line but it will come down to how bad I want to implement this.

i am going to look more at finding a way to get ethernet cable to panel

thanks all

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.