Here's a Weird One: Zigbee Battery Sensors Not Working On Generator Power

This happened last power outage as well, ie, repeatable.

Had another power outage last night/this morning.
No battery backups, so hub was off line overnight.

Started up the Honda 2000 inverter generator in the morning.
Maybe 2 of 12 Hue motion sensors still detected motion, and the ST Arrival sensor stopped working (showed absent).

The one zigbee door contact continued to work.

This continued throughout the outage until, a few minutes ago, utility power was restored.
And, voila, immediately thereafter, all the Zigbee sensors are now working as they should.

Could the Hubitat hub be sensitive somehow to something the inverter generator is injecting?

I haven't made any observations with a "normal" generator.
I thought inverter generators were supposed to be "cleaner".

Oh well, I'll check it with the other generator during the next outage, although I'd prefer there wasn't one for a long time. :slight_smile:

edit: Also, internet was out along with power and was restored with power.

Does your generator provide power to every circuit that you have a zigbee repeater hardwired or plugged into?

3 Likes

No zigbee repeaters.

What exactly do you mean?

1 Like

Longshot, but does your inverter have built-in WiFi or anything that might be turned on while in use or otherwise interfere with the 2.4 GHz channels used by Zigbee? And is this behavior the same with different Zigbee channels? (Keeping in mind that these can be a pain to change, especially on battery devices, and that you or the hub may have already carefully selected one based on your environment...)

1 Like

Is it a simulated sine wave inverter? Although I have not noticed this the couple times our power has gone out (cyberpower ups), I wasn’t looking for it since we don’t have a generator. I have read that some electronics need full sine wave to work properly.

1 Like

This. Many home UPS battery backups have issues on generator power. There are UPSs that are meant for a generator setup but they are quite a bit more expensive.

I bought myself a generator a year or so ago, but have yet to need it. I test it every so often by just powering up my shop with it. I have to unplug my electronics in the shop office, from the APC unit I have. It keeps everything up and running but it constantly beeps and switches back and forth between battery and generator power. From my research it is because of the issue @Ken_Fraleigh mentions.

I have no zigbee repeaters.

The generator is a high quality Honda EU2000i. It is of inverter design. True sine wave signature.

No WiFi on the generator.

I think I'm going to break out the batteries. This time I'll only use two: the hub and modem on one and the router on another. I think the low load on the previous battery just powering the hub contributed to its early, and surprising, demise.

At the very least, the batteries might act as a rudimentary power conditioner.

I might string a power cord from the generator outside directly to the hub power supply inside the house. See if I can replicate the issue. For all I know it could somehow be internet-related (doubtful).

Anyway that's my plan.

What does the Zigbee device graph look like?

Well, I couldn't replicate it...par for the course for me.

I powered the hub directly by the generator, and then I powered the house with it, as I normally do.
The motion sensors behaved normally.

I can see some kind of zigbee searching activity by the hub after the overnight radio outage, but it's just too coincidental that as soon as utility power returned, things went back to normal; the last power outage as well.

Oh well, I still may break out the batteries and wait for the next outage, lol.

Not much to go wrong there. :wink:

What channel is Zigbee using?

To help rule out noise on the power line you could try to run the hub off of a battery. I haven't set it up yet but I have one of these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQ6ZLQ2V to test with my hubs. I know people here use the smaller 10,000 mAh packs from the same company but you can't beat the $17 cost of the bigger one (50% coupon).

I do have four of the smaller ones but those are for a wearable project. My initial testing of them indicates that the capacity isn't overrated.

1 Like