Here we go again & again

I have seen this problem with lots of equipment.. DB corruption due to spikes caused by other equipment plugged into the same extension lead or directly from the mains supply

It got so bad at my home that I put in a full system to smooth the mains in most of my house.

1 Like

Would the ups smooth it out?

Hardly. I'd just like to stop wasting hours on something that never seems to get resolved and leads to basically nothing working reliably. It's difficult to be positive with this situation when the hub is now seizing or slowing up often, even with reboots each night. I've invested thousands on this and other iot kit and the core system is more or less broken for me at this house.

2 Likes

If it's a decent one yes.
That's one of the things they were originally designed for

I bought that dirt cheap battery one that's on this forum a while back but never set it up. Not sure if that would be a good solution but I guess it's worth a try. Will assess tomorrow after another nightly reboot and the new LAN cable and turning the hub over (although it's not running hot). I will also try disabling a few more apps I think, especially if I still see errors.

1 Like

This one
Mini UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply 7800mah 12V 2A USB 5V 1A Output Power Bank (GM312 UPS) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075QZQSS1/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_j.HGEbNYP7W9W

Checked again and found some apps &/or devices with brackets (), hyphen -, exclamation mark!, and one with quotes '.

Will remove these just in case. I guess they are unwise in an sql-based system although I was expecting everything to be properly escaped.

I have one of those but have not tested it yet, it's cheap but as the power is drawn directly from the battery it should be reasonably smooth

Yeah that's what I figured. Will press it into service tomorrow I think. One reason I didn't is because I put the hub on a cheap eWeLink socket so that I can kick the hub over as a last resort if I'm away and have an issue. Actually I didn't need to do that, but it was something I wanted to retain. But it's definitely more important to have a properly functioning hub and in all cases so far I've managed to get into the hub (even when away using my RPi) and reboot it through the software/interface.

1 Like

Wouldn't be too worried with the hyphens, but I could see the brackets and quotes causing some grief if not properly escaped during queries.

Yeah, I agree 100% with this as ALL my devices have hyphens.
This is how I order them in the device page list.

Bathroom-Humidity.....
Bathroom-Motion Fib.
Bathroom-Motion Xiaomi.

etc.
etc.

2 Likes

After the soft reset did you do the following:

• restore from backup
  • shutdown HE and do a hard boot

Hmm, learned something new. For some reason I thought the hyphen was not allowed. I like the way your organization of the device list reads.

Have you tried turning around in a circle 9 times and barking like a dog? :stuck_out_tongue: The suggestions are all over. I figured I'd put mine out too.

2 Likes

You didn't specify clockwise or counter :innocent:

1 Like

Always clockwise! Are you mad!? Counter-clockwise... PHFT! What are you trying to do, man?! Break your hub?

4 Likes

Horizontal or Vertical. Also how are you dealing with the constant tangling of cords. I have so much to learn.

I didn't do that.
I will try that after the next soft reset I do.

I've been using hyphens, &/ampersan, quotes, spaces, brackets. Didn't see any issues until this thread made note of it. Any names I've tried for devices or apps have always been accepted without any error message and haven't seemed to cause an issue so my assumption was HE escaped names properly. But you never know the internals...

Sometimes it feels like anything is worth a try with this hub. But I will await a full moon first I think before doing the barking like a dog so that when the neighbours ask I have a valid excuse.

3 Likes