Help with snow melting idea

I am trying to create a rule to turn on my sidewalk heat and gutter heat when an Open Weather device detects snow (snow group [6xx ]icons are 13x). Then turn it off when there has been no snow for 6 hours. 1-I don't think the rule below is working (I must not be doing the "wait" correctly) and 2-Is this the most efficient way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any community help with this...

I think you might want to use Private Boolean True as a required expression in this rule, then have the first action, set Private Boolean false and the last action set Private Boolean true. If the current required expression (snowmelt suspend rule off) is in the way, you could remove it and add that as a condition to your existing two triggers.

Otherwise I guess it'll keep triggering depending on the frequency of the report. That won't fix your rule not working if it isn't currently, but it looks like a rule where constant re-triggering before completing would be less than desirable.

On the Private Boolean, I may misunderstand, but I want the wait timer to start over each time it detects snow, and I understand re-triggering the rule does that?

1 Like

Ah ok, yes the re-trigger will start all actions again as you want it.

If you think the rule is not working, a screenshot of logs would be needed to interpret what's going on.

Curious what you are using for the sidewalk heat?

For the gutter heating, I use the GE Z-Wave 40amp driving typical heat cable.

For the sidewalk, I am using a Zooz Zen16 relay to turn on a Heatizon product called ToughCable via manipulation of an ETO2 controller (The Heatizon/ETO2 stuff was installed as part of a larger [pre-HE] system and I don't love how the ETO2 operates all the time).

More than you wanted to know probably :slight_smile:

Nope, the more info the better! Since having a stroke, I can't go out and shovel any more. And it drives me nuts to see my wife out there trying to do it. I've been looking at different options for a couple of years now but can't justify the cost just yet. Looking at the options, it's gonna cost me a couple thousand to do the stairs, my ramp and the walkway.

Thanks

1 Like

I agree with the logs suggestion.

I tend to want things like this to be at least partially independent of Hubitat. My hydronic snow melt system has a moisture & temp sensor that turns on the system automatically

The issue with that scenario is there are false activations, e.g. flurries or cold rain. So what I've done is to put a ZEN17 relay in the mix. The ZEN17 sends a message when the sensor calls for heat. If I do nothing the system runs. If I don't want it to run I go to Apple Home and turn the boiler off via the ZEN17. The system automatically resets when the sensor stops calling for heat.

The Heatizon stuff was pricey back when I had it installed. But it has been a really solid heating element system. I've liked the company, and I am sure the ETO2 and the sensors are fine, I just don't know how to program it. I needed more visibility and control (remote) than I had. So the contractor helped me connect a couple "overrides" to some of the terminals on the ETO2 I could play with (System Standby, Force On, and a zone control) using the multi-relay and HE.

I am just not sure if my HE rule above is well designed or if I am correctly using the "Wait For..." steps. But the heating elements respond well and are well-built.

1 Like

This is right where I was thinking he should look to go with this. That's a lot of resistive heat (energy use)...I'd want to be judicious with it and very location specific in determining the need. Not that I would avoid tying in with HE (and other inputs) in some way to coordinate things AND to be DOUBLY sure that firing up the heat traces was warranted.