Help with rule: accidentally turned off toilet on my wife

Wait....so the rule you showed me wasn't the rule that failed but one you just wrote? Well, fix the AM/PM thing,turn on logging and if it fails again, post the logs. Because if that is failing we got bigger problems.

Thanks. Hereā€™s the ā€œcorrectā€ recreation with logging enabled this time. Will have to wait until tomorrow and see if my wife yells at me again.

The Simple Lighting app would be much simpler to setup for this use case. I use it to turn on various lights at certain times and off at others.

2 Likes

Okay...but we have to wait until the rule doesn't work correctly and then analyze the logs. The logs won't show anything now. You should be able to go into the rule's properties page (gear icon) and see the scheduled task to turn it off at midnight. Then after midnight, that page will show a scheduled task to turn it on at 6 am.

This is about as simple a rule as you can get. I can't imagine that simple lighting would handle it any better.

Agreed. Iā€™ve encountered this before and went with simple lighting but Iā€™m trying to wrap my head around all the options and nuances of RM before delving into more complex automations.

1 Like

My suggestion wasnā€™t about ā€œhandlingā€ it, just much simpler to setup.

Really? I don't really see why he'd need simpler. He's got the rule. It should work. If he didn't know where to start i'd agree but he's got the rule, why pull it out and change it now?

Ok got what you are saying. I actually assumed the a separate delay counter would be calculated for the full delay instead of a another trigger point. So I agreed with you on that.

But, if you are anything like me and update your hub or do a reboot while the delays are active, when the hub restarts it wonā€™t remember those delays and the delayed actions will not be executed until the next cycle. So his wife will be sitting on a cold seat again for a day.

It is my understanding that the delays are scheduled so unless the the hub was offline at the time of the scheduled delay the action would still occur. The scheduled delay should survive the reboot.

Interesting. Not from my experience but that was from the first few months with my hub starting back in May. Since then I have avoided the long delays. Possibly something addressed with later OS updates.

Here is a discussion on the topic.

Actually, it does remember delays between reboots. I did a test to prove that not too long ago.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have any scheduled reboots but I would imagine it would/should just recover based on internal scheduling for the rule.

Just went to check and the bidet/plug is still on. Itā€™s roughly 3 am. I should set logging for the plug too.

Update: see below.

It is 1:25am as I am reading this and I am groggy so I may be missing something, but I believe you have the on and off reversed as your original statement said you do not plan on using the toilet between 12 am - 6am.

However the rule you created is turning the toilet power on at 12am and off at 6am.

Ugh. Youā€™re totally correct. Iā€™ve swapped it and am trying to run this rule starting at 4 am now. Canā€™t guarantee I had it right or wrong the first time.

Btw, I just recreated the rule. On the iPad at least, when you first choose the trigger and certain time, if you select AM for the first time it auto reverts back to PM after saving. Seems like a bug to me although it can somehow be iOS specific.

Are you using safari on the iPad? I would recommend doing it with Chrome and see if the behavior is correct.

The rule is still not working and I donā€™t see anything in the logs.

Ran a quick test. With the rule below, at 7:49 am the bidet/plug stayed on. 5 minutes later, it turned off and stayed off. I would have expected this to work.

[app:451]2019-12-30 07:54:01.058 am [info]Delay Over: Off: Iris Plug Bidet --> delayed: 0:05:00
[app:451]2019-12-30 07:49:00.623 am [info]Action: On: Iris Plug Bidet
[app:451]2019-12-30 07:49:00.589 am [info]Action: Off: Iris Plug Bidet --> delayed: 0:05:00
[app:451]2019-12-30 07:49:00.464 am [info]Bidet timer Triggered
[app:451]2019-12-30 07:49:00.445 am [info]Bidet timer: Triggered at Certain Time

Think I probably need the delay after the ā€œonā€ instead?

Solved. Had the delay backwards. It shouldā€™ve been associated with the ā€œon.ā€
@bravenel I wish that RM read slightly differently as I find this order can be very confusing.
For example this to me (as a new user) makes more sense as it adds a wait (or delay if preferred) as a separate middle action to run:

Select trigger events
When time is 12:00 AM EST

Select actions to run
Off: Iris Plug Bidet
Wait: 6:00 AM EST
On: Iris Plug Bidet

Wait makes more sense than delay, and being able to specify an exact time would be handy.
Also, what the heck does that ā€˜cancelableā€ switch do when it appears next to delays???