Help with my rule Dryer notification

I am setting up a rule to tell me when my dryer is done using vibration. It’s works per se, but if I open the dryer door ( essentially setting sensor to ‘active’ I get a Dryer done message, even if doesn’t stay active for 5 min. Screenshots included.

Sorry it’s in two pieces, on a phone.

You should use the built-in Notifier app for this.
It will let you select a vibration sensors and the time period it needs to be inactive for before you are notified.

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think that app allows for the complexity I am seeking. Since the vibration sensor may be activated by other activities, the process should only start once it has been active for 5 min (assuring the dryer is on) and then notify once it’s been inactive for 2 minutes (assuring dryer is off).

1 Like

You can do this with RM, but if you're not committed to it I would recommend you take a look at Better Laundry Monitor. It's designed for exactly this kind of use case. GitHub - HubitatCommunity/Hubitat-BetterLaundryMonitor

2 Likes

You're correct, the Notifier app is not meant for the use case you describe.

I'm curious - which vibration sensor are you using?

@aaiyar Smartthings multipurpose v5.

Can someone look at the rule and help identify why it is behaving the way it does. Basically, the 5 minute delay does not appear to work. I get a Dryer is Done message anytime it goes from inactive to active and back again.

@dman2306 My understanding is that BLM is using power consumption and not vibration which is what I wish to use.

I believe the newer version supports both. There is an option you set. I have power metering so I haven’t tried vibration but I believe it has what you’re looking for.

Ah yes, I see there is a newer version than I used previously. I will give it a try, however, I would still be interested to know what is the issue with my rule.

I think your delays are wrong which is causing the issue.

Cancel delayed actions should not be delayed. You only need 1 of these and as the very first action in the rule to run.
Set running to true is what needs the 5 minute delay.
The delay of 1 minute isn't needed. You should delay the notifications and running to false by 1 minute.

Also you should change the else to else-if and can do away with the nested if statement.

Do you mind to write up example for what you mean? Thanks!

I think this will work.

You will only ever be notified if the dryer has been running longer than 5 minutes. (e.g. if you only run it for 4 minutes then stop it you won't be notified.)
This will restart every time the sensor becomes active.

If you stop the dryer you have 1 minute before you are notified and if it restarts in this minute you won't. This also won't restart he 5 minute requirement. (e.g. run the dryer for ten minutes, stop for 30 seconds run for 2 more minutes and you will still be notified.)

1 Like

I use a SmartThings Multipurpose sensor v5 on my 220v dryer.

I have it attached to the side of the dryer via heavy duty Velcro tape. This allows me to remove it and replace the battery. I have the washer right next to the dryer with a ¼ hard rubber pad between them and never picks up any vibration from the washer.

I use a RM rule written by wbcoyote3.public . which has worked great.

Here is a link to his post which has the code of the RM rule that he wrote:
Ignore the fact that the link says Aqara sensor and washing machine. There is a rule here for using a SmartThings Multipurpose sensor on the dryer.

Aqara vibration sensor - washing machine complete

The rule uses a couple of local variables and may be difficult for someone new to RM4 to figure out, but it works great. It actually took me several tries to write it in RM. My variation is a little different; I have it speak on my Echo rather then send me a notification on my phone.

1 Like

@msandrew88 I beleive that your rule is not working, because i think, (havn´t proven it) that the sensor, regardless of whats going on, it resets itself to inactive, every certain amount of time, i beleive it's arround 50 sec. or so, and then if it's still sensing vibration it then returns to active, but it goes back to inactive, at least for a couple of seconds befor it goes to active again if it still senses vibration. Hope this helps.

I never got it to work reliably with vibration. I gave up and got power monitoring on the dryer circuit.

Hi
Is there a special topic or section where I can ask for driver modifications for new features?
This driver is perfect for me apart una piccola interessante necessità che ho
Regards