Help with Daikin Mini Split integration

1 Like

So would those remote control functions be available as attributes for rules?

Wow, looks like Daikin rules for ir codes.

As indicated by @rlithgow1, you can use the Remotec ZXT-600 for infrared control of your Daikin mini-split.

The other choice is to get the Daikin DKN Plus interface module and use any conventional zigbee or z-wave thermostat to control it (or even a Hubitat compatible WiFi thermostat like the ecobee).

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Since you can hook up a z-wave thermostat to the DKN Plus interface @aaiyar posted, that would be better as you would get feedback from the thermostat, whereas the zxt-600 is one way communication only.

2 Likes

Yeah - but the zxt-600 is far more economical! Those interfaces are $250-300 + another $50-100 for the thermostat.

1 Like

The Daikin wifi modules work and there are drivers available that allow them to work with HE (search the forum/Github), but neither are great. I find I can turn the units off and set the mode (heat/cool/off), and adjust the temp, but that's about it. Changing fan speeds and such not available. The lousy Daikin iOS app isn't any better.

I haven't tried the Daikin module that lets you use a regular thermostat, but if the cost is about the same as the current price of the wifi module I would probably try that.

We have Daikin minisplits in our home but tried a Mitsubishi in another building we purchased. MUCH better unit and app! We won't be buying more Daikins but Mitsubishi is a definite contender for future business.

I've been pretty happy with the LG and they do have a dry contact module for them for use with a regular thermostat, but I am unsure if they have all the things I need in it. I believe for the vent flaps for my cassettes the remote is still needed.

2 Likes

There is no conventional thermostat that will control those with finesse. Basically, you'll get fully open or closed.

2 Likes

Be nice if I could get a zwave or zigbee control to interface. In the end though the zxt does what I need and it hasn't misfired. It has a temp sensor in it so as long as it's close to whatever the cassette says 72-74 is I'm happy :grinning: And it can be used to closel, open, and adjust the vents.

3 Likes

Thanks for this information. I ordered one today. Other than a delay in a signal being sent, the need to replace batteries and it being a non repeater do you see any other negatives with running this on battery?

@rlithgow1 , got it. Thanks for the follow-up.

I'm talking about using the zxt-600 on battery power.

Lol, that was meant for another thread.... Sorry... too many windows open, will delete

To answer your question. You can use a usb cable and wallwart to power it. If you pair it while using usb to power it, it will become a repeater. I haven't noticed a real delay in it. That said, I don't usually see it. I have a rule set up that whatever the 1st floor thermostat is, set the 3rd floor cassettes to the same temp. The unit has temp in it so I use that to gauge what's up on that floor.

Yeah, I'm thinking about not using USB to power it. I want to wall mount it and not really a wall outlet convenient to the spot and don't want the cable just hanging down the wall.

I read there was a small delay in processing the signal on battery but my main purpose will be to turn off or change temp setpoint on presence change.

1 Like

Yeah a small delay for something like that isn't really gonna make a difference. So you have to wait a second, maybe 1.5 for it to register the temp change or what ever you sent. I wouldn't worry too much about it if it were me.

1 Like

Great, thanks again for your help. Should have been here yesterday but Amazon dropped the ball so maybe today.

1 Like

I received the Remotec and cannot get it control any function of the Daikin. I have codes through all of the built in codes. Should at least on of these codes not work or is there a step by step guide somewhere that I can reference? If these codes do not work am I going to have to learn each button on the remote?

They should work. You can push the codes via the device. Watch the logs and make sure they take