Help me make a dog pee or poop tracker please

My dog doesn’t always poop wen she goes out and 4 different people walk her. I recently installed a zooz dimmer by the door. So I figured double tap up = pee notification down= Poop. Is this pro ally the best way? I’d like to take this a step further. Send a notification if dog hasn’t pooped in say 7. Hours? So if double tap down hasn’t happened in 7hours send an alert. Possible?

Can you just train the dog to push the button when she poops?

5 Likes

Is that your Shih-tzu? Just adorable! I grew up with Lhasa Apsos (kind of look like a shih-tzu but more aggressive).

2 Likes

Yep. My ball of attitude

1 Like

I have to ask. Does your dog have poop issues? :poop:

Woops. I read that as...

"Help me make a dog pee..."

Cybernetic implants.

That’s not a bad approach. I’d also consider using something dedicated—maybe an Osram zigbee 2-button dimmer or something, and put stickers for each of the dog’s activities on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I hope that someone actually gives you some RM advice eventually. I'm not sure how to do it myself, but the idea is good. I just wait for her to do her thing, and then once a week I walk serpentine across the lawn looking for landmines, and trying not to step on any trigger pins.

I've always wanted a dog squat AI to recognize the difference in her position and then highlight them on a single image at the end of the week. A kind of poop map I could follow to make the job easier. But this time of year, the snow hides them for the most part. Spring clean up is a real mess!

3 Likes

I live in a condo, so it’s on sight. The thing is we walk out dog 6 times a day, 3 different people. We’re very fortunate to have a dog walker that charges only $20 a week, 3 walks a day 3x a week. 9 30 min walks for $20 isn’t bad. The thing is, she has to poop 2x a day and usually poops on the longer 20-30 min walks. If she doesn’t poop, I’ll keep her out til she does. Lately after 45 mins out, I text the last walker and she tells me “oh, she pooped last walk”. So I wasted 30 extra minutes after she peed for nothing. This is annoying because 2 of her walks are already 30 mins. The other 4 are just potty breaks

1 Like

This is what I'm saying! :wink: We need a poop detector, because my trying to teach her to tell me when and where she pooped has failed. :joy:

2 Likes

Here's a simple low-tech poop detector. Have your walker(s) leave the bag outside your front door.

2 Likes

The Zooz is a good idea.. depending on the 'techie'ness of your walkers a couple separate buttons (ST or Xiaomi etc...) might be more intuitive to them one for each... you could label them with your favorite emoji's and the button presses get logged so you can always review. You could set a rule that if the button is not pressed in X amount of time, or between certain hours send the alert.

Phase II (once you train the dog)

download

Yes this is possible.

I think you would need to set up the buttons like you were thinking and with a rule that is triggered by the double tap up with a cancelable notification with a 7 hour delay.
The double tap up would need to cancel this notification.

So you would only be notified if your dog hasn't pooped.

Yup. Either this, or use a local variable and just get a notification for the number of times. The rules could be laid out like this

1. If (Button Pressed) -> +1 to dogPooped
  2. At (Certain Time) (If dogPooped == 0 -> "That dog ain't poopin'") ELSE "The dog has pooped %dogPooped% times today."
  3. At (Midnight) (Set dogPooped to 0)

Of course, you could add urination counters to the mix as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Similar application. Notify everyone when the pets have been fed. The pets are notorious for pretending that they have not been fed yet for every family member.

I don't even use a switch plate. It lives with the pet food in a Ziploc and sends a message to the phones and a few Echo devices when pushed.