Help me find the perfect smart bulb for me

Seems the options in smart bulbs are endless and it would take practically an eternity combing through product descriptions, specs, and reviews. Plus it's nice to hear from folks who have actually used devices that are known to work properly and reliably with HE. Can you recommend a currently available bulb that meets all of these requirements? (Make and model, please.)

• Zigbee or Z-Wave
  • Dimmable
  • Tunable White
  • 100W equivalent
  • Remembers last setting on power up

Optional:

• Level pre-staging. (Can set the level without turning it on.) I have one Zigbee bulb that supports this and a pair of Z-waves that do not, so I'm not sure if it's a function of Zibee and Z-wave, or it's up to each manufacturer to implement it.
  • Dimmer speed adjustable

I do not need color, so I don't want to pay extra for it, but if there is not a tunable white only bulb that meets all the other requirements, I'd consider a color bulb if the price is good.

I specifically want Zigbee or Z-wave so it connects directly to HE and is local. Most of the wi-fi stuff I've seen requires cloud integration. Open to wi-fi if completely local (and, again, meets all the other requirements), but still not my preference.

Thanks!

This is a more complex topic than one might assume. Most smart bulbs (other than wifi) are zigbee, but they make crappy repeaters when used in a network of mixed devices. Putting them on a zigbee meshed network with other devices can lead to a lot of issues, especially since they can usually be turned off with a switch somewhere. If you must go with zigbee attached directly to the hub then consider something like Sengled (which do not repeat) or a Zigbee 3.0 bulb.

My preference (and you said you didn't want to do this, but reconsider) is to go with a Hue hub on a different zigbee channel than HE. Hue hubs work with Hue bulbs, but they also support a range of other, less expensive devices. This keeps all your bulbs on one network, avoids any repeating issues, and makes for a pretty seamless (completely local) integration with HE. I actually recommend Hue bulbs in any case. They're more expensive, but there are plenty of styles that are tunable and dimmable, are less expensive than the color-changing ones, and they can be configured (when connected to the Hue hub) to remember the last setting. There are lots of models and form factors to choose from.

Avoid GE bulbs at all costs!

Thanks, Brad. I've read that most Zigbee bulbs, even though they are obviously mains powered and not battery powered, are not repeaters. Why is this? Would it be better to get one that is? (If there is one that meets my requirements.) My place is pretty small, I only have a handful of Zigbee devices, and the only way power will get cut to a bulb is a power outage. Do you still think I would run into issues with a Zibee network? We're talking 8-10 devices (not all of them bulbs) max.

Why avoid GE bulbs?

wow. thats some criteria!
I spent a lot of time on bulbs myself - I can't compare to the experience of everyone before me - but I had a lot of trouble finding any 100w equivalent bulbs. I don't do ZWave, only Zigbee. I also needed tunable White and remember settings. I never found the perfect solution.
I did end up with INNR bulbs - so many of my bulbs would freak out as they dim below a certain value. Most of my OSRAM/Sylvania/Ledvance bulbs were really bad about that. There are forum posts here that describe all that 'GE' stuff being problematic - and for the most part I didn't agree in the end - but they were very susceptible to getting stuck at low dim values. Ultimately I replaced them all just to be sure. I still use some OSRAM bulbs as test bulbs (I'm now experimenting with Circadian Daylight and Lightly apps by @adamkempenich) so dimming and tuneability are so important to me.
I guess what I'm saying is ; If your search and responses picks up anything, please post back! I'd benefit from your work!

In my experience most Zigbee bulbs ARE repeaters, they just do a bad job. There are two types of Zigbee devices, ZLL and ZHA. Bulbs are ZLL, other devices ZHA. ZLL devices do fine repeating other ZLL devices, but in a mixed network when bulbs try to repeat ZHA sensors, it doesn't work. If you move all your zigbee bulbs to a hub that has only ZLL devices on it, that problem goes away. Hence my recommendation for the Hue hub.

I think this is fixed in Zigbee 3.0 so a 3.0-compliant bulb may not have the same issues.

the other issue with bulbs as repeaters is they can be powered down somewhat easily, and that obviously makes them fail as repeaters!

I had a couple of GE bulbs that I could never get to stay on the network. Others report similar issues, though some folks have had success with them.

1 Like

The only Zigbee bulbs that I know of, that are not Zigbee repeaters, are the Sengled Zigbee smart bulbs. These work great on a Hubitat Zigbee home automation mesh network, and will not cause any issues with other Zigbee devices on the same network, even if someone accidentally turns off power to them. One does need some mains-powered Zigbee repeater devices spread throughout the house to create a solid Zigbee mesh network.

The only Zigbee devices that I know of, that can restore their previous state upon power restoration, are the genuine Philips Hue bulbs, when attached to a Philips Hue bridge. Also, the only bulbs that support Apple HomeKit when attached to a Hue bridge are the Philips bulbs.

It should be noted that Sengled bulbs, while great when paired directly to the Hubitat Hub, cannot be paired with a Philips Hue bridge.

3 Likes

I thought it was just hue. Good to know, I‘ll move my othe bults to the hue hub.

FWIW, newer zigbee 3.0 bulbs I’ve used from Innr and eWeLink work well as repeaters. In contrast to older ZHA1.2 bulbs.

5 Likes

Yup. I haven't found an 100W equivalent that meets the other requirements. I'll settle for 60W if I need to.

Just found Linkind CT bulbs on Amazon for $10 a PAIR! Wow! Anyone know if these support remembering their last state after a power outage?

If you don't mind WiFi, there is a community integration for LiFX bulbs. They are great bulbs, so I wish there was an official integration for them - like for the YeeLights.

1 Like

My excitement of Wifi bulbs waned a long time ago when I was troubleshooting problems - I've no doubt they've improved but my investment now is Zigbee as it works for me well -
Just for history - My first ever device on a hub was the incredible @djgutheinz who had created a way to get the Wifi IP based Kasa bulb and switch to connect to my smarthub. I learned so much from his work - and to me it was pioneering at that time.

I'm cheap. I just go with what I think are acceptable prices. @kosmicken The Linkind CT Bulbs - I do use those bulbs too - I had some real problems in that their page on Amazon showed one thing, but what came in the box was another. I did write about that somewhere around here (I think!). They do work well but I can't speak to 'last state after a power outage' off the top of my head. I'd be happy to locate them and test but I don't think they do. I've had power outages here and most of my bulbs come ON regardless of previous state. Since I'm a renter, I don't modify wall switches, I just toss in a smart bulb and leave all my switches on, so thats mainly why they don't remember I'm sure.

If you're interested in zwave+ bulbs:
GoControl 650 Lumens, Bulbz.
Dimmable LED Indoor FloodLight (BR30 form factor).
(equivalent to 65 watt incandescent flood light)

1 Like