Help! Large Z-wave mesh very unreliable (migrating from smartthings))

For like 5 minutes tops - then its gets cranky again.

One of the issues I was told I had was ghost devices and a few reboots should clear them

Edit, I've put expanding, automating more on hold try to resolve this.
Also I'm told chromecast is a problem so have the app and devices disabled

1 Like

Are you seeing the same issue as me? Any luck solving or still sluggish?

No my speed is ok, but my devices are all quite compact (small house), my issue is sometimes the z-wave radio locks up (zigbee,virtual, wifi still working).

Also if you have a lot of power reporting devices try to limit the message (frequently of power reports)

I think it just doesn't like z-wave and get clogged up. Different symptoms same underlying issue??

This reminded me of something. There was a Z-Wave message issue fixed in one of the recent firmware updates. @tuffcalc, have you updated to the latest firmware?

Yes - on the newest which caused another issue I forgot to mention. After upgrading I lost 10 or so zwave devices. Not sure why, just no longer existing in my device list. I had to exclude and re-add.

Capture

Take a look at this snip from my logs. I also see this issue quite often ... things being reported over and over again in quick succession. I see it with Zooz, ecolink and sensitive devices quite often.

You probably have some phantom devices. From your logs, it also looks like you are running a Z-Wave repair now.

Yes running a repair now... unplugged for 10 minutes, plugged in and let settle, now running repair.

Any tips on how to find and kill phantom devices?

They should get taken out on their own over time.

I don't know, until recently I was running about 50 odd non plus zwave devices, and only had 3 plus devices, I didn't have any specific issues with the non plus devices or the mesh in general, it might very well depend on the quality of said non plus devices..., ie supper crusty GE stock certainly don't work as well as the aeon micros I was using...

LOL - :slight_smile: you mean those really early 300 series compared to the last rev 300 they dumped before the 500 series hit the shelves? :slight_smile:

1 Like

How many of those were you polling, and at what frequency?

Yes, standard zwave by itself isn't necessarily bad. How most users end up using them is, however... Especially in Hubitat that doesn't seem to handle polling as well as other hubs.

At least based on my experience and testing. It was the catalyst for removing the last standard zwave devices I had.... But you are right, I shouldn't assume my experience is the same as others.

But whatever. If that isn't it, I'm sure others will have good advice for the OP.

I'm not doing any polling. Originally I had it setup and it screeched my network to a halt.

I love hubitat compared to smartthings - but smarthings I have to say had better non plus device setup. Somehow in the background it was polling as device status was correct after about 30 seconds on non plus devices. Hubitat doesn't update at all unless the poller app is running... which will crash my system.

In any event, I'm over that - just want to get the hub running reliably. It's better in every other way than smartthings was.

Zero...

The point being non plus zwave isn't inherintly bad, it all depends on the device. Plus is no different.

@tuffcalc
I owe you an apology. I was wrong. I did some checking on my own and found that there are others with success in adding large groups of devices to HE. Although I would not do it personally because it's so tough to figure out what's going wrong when there are problems, it is not wrong. I have not been able to follow your post more to see if there was a resolution, but I do hope you find one. The community is the tops here and I hope that I have not altered your opinion of that. Good luck!

Well, that isn't 100% accurate, but I understand your point. The protocol itself isn't especially bad.

But... non-plus CAN be very detrimental to your zwave mesh oerformance. But it isn't a given.

For example, if all your plus devices support 100 kbit transfer speed, then adding non-plus devices most definitely is a bad thing (in terms of throughput).

And God forbid you add a 9.6kbps device into your mesh...

When building a new setup, I definitely recommend doing one thing at a time, so you know for sure what the last thing you did that messed everything up was.

However, I completely understand that that sounds insane if you're moving over 150 pre-existing devices. My wife would have a cow if 150 devices stopped working, and I was only getting 2-3 back online each day. :grimacing:

1 Like

I get that completely. When I migrated 2 years ago, I did it slowly with a version of hubconnect. That kept everything talking while I was converting. I was converting from Smartthings to HE, which is much more .. "more" .. and required me to actually learn more than I had to with Smartthings. Insane? Yes. I agree with that statement 100%. I hope he gets it working. It is an amazing product.

I’ve got about 225 devices in Hubitat now. Running a new Zwave repair - going super slow. Last one took about a day to run. Is that how it’s supposed to be?

No issues with zigbee devices.