Help automating lights on range hood

Any ideas how to automate the lights on my range hood?

It's literally the last device we have to manually turn on and off when we cook or leave the house and would be so nice to have this final light automated.

Is there a neutral wire in there? Something like the Philio PAN-04 would work if there's a manual on/off switch. It detects when you toggle the switch, and you can still use it that way, or you could use a motion sensor to detect when someone approaches it :slight_smile:

There are a few devices on the market like that.

How are they controlled currently?

I opened it up a while ago. There is a fair bit of wiring in there because there is some type of sensor that will turn the fan on if something is burning on the stove. But it looks like 120V in which runs the fan with 120volts and then a transformer which drops the voltage for the tiny halogen bulbs.

That Pan 04 sounds awesome if it will detect when the switch is manually used.

I wonder if I can find a wiring diagram online for the unit...

With mine, I just wired up a ‘fibaro’ switch to the power to the transformer then added a wire to the original switch so it could be manually controlled too

Andy

2 Likes

You should double check. I think the lights are running on 120VAC. I modded one by having the Aeontec micro switch controlling the light and the manual switch controlling the micro switch. I will see if I could get some pictures next week because it's no longer my house.
Just remove the light bulb and check for the spec. You should be able to see the working voltage stamped on the bulb.

1 Like

Yup. Just did this myself - How do you change the switch?
Answer: Get IKEA Bulbs - and control them in a group.

P.S. Get the more expensive Ikea bulbs - they work great even on the same Hub as other zigbee devices.

P.P. S. Use the generic zigbee rgbw driver

Edit 11 days later:
I would like to take back my comment that these Ikea bulbs work on the same hub as other Zigbee devices. They worked fine - for a period of two days, and then they dropped from the mesh. So, I put them on my 2nd Hub (I have two at present - one for all devices, one for all rules).

I plan on doing the same … getting these from Ikea US:

They are only $1USD more than the non-CT counterpart

You guys are lucky with the GUI10 bulbs! I have the G9 type so no smart for me.

I have a Broan hood … it was about $350-ish and what attracted me most was the 4 integrated GUI10 bulbs … they are nice and bright but seeing as they are Halogen, burn hot and can fail … I never use them for any sort of mood lighting - only cooking. When I switch to the Ikea bulbs, I'll automate my hood with the rest of my mood/ambient lighting schemes.

So here are the pics for the mod. I used a monopro dual relay and automate both the light and vent.
The relays switching power to the phone chargers and the chargers control the non smart 5vdc relays.

Hood fan button controller board

4 Likes

Well, over a year later and I finally got this done. We were painting our walls so had the range hood taken apart to paint around it.

The switches are part of some complicated switch assembly that has both 12v and 120v going into it and I wasn't going to easily be able to isolate the existing swtich for the lights.

Instead, I've used a Zooz Relay Zen16 to intercept the power wire going to the lights. I've ordered a little momentary 12v button that I'll use with the Zooz Relay to override the original swtich and be able to manually turn on and off.

1 Like

I'd also like to automate my range hood lights but I'm not sure the best way to do it. My electrical schematic understanding is limited so I'm hoping someone can tell me if what I'm trying to do is possible.

There is one switch for the lights. First press turns it on to high, 2nd press to low, 3rd press turns them off. You can also turn the light off by pressing the power button (also turns fan off), and turn it back on with the power button (if it was previously on). I have no interest in automating the fan, I'd just like the ability to control the light state (high, low and off). I also don't want to lose the existing manual control.

Can I use something like a ZEN16 or 17 to splice into the wires going to the LAMP-H & LAMP-L terminals where the switch bank connector plugs in? I don't understand the logic of how the single lamp button toggles between High/Low/Off