Heat detector sensor for US?

Didn't know where to put this....

Has anyone seen/used a decent Zigbee or Zwave "heat detector". Like to be used as a fire sensor. Seems smoke CO alerts are not meant to be in garages (hot and cold issues) or hot attics, and they defer to heat sensors for fire detection.

Thoughts or opinions?

I am making this device. I am hoping to make it available for all of us.

The sensor is also repurposed to harvest energy.

2 Likes

There are temperature sensors that will operate over a range of approximately -20 degrees C (-4 degees F) to +60 degrees C (140 degrees F). My garage is attached to the house, so it never exceeds that range. The trick would be to get the sensor to set off an alarm siren before the s sensor fails.

In a fire situation, especially if accelerants such as gasoline are involved as is often the case where cars, lawnmowers, gas cans, etc. may be stored, the temperature can increase so rapidly that the sensor may fail before an alarm is triggered.

Unless you have access to a fire tower where firefighters train, there would be no way to testing to insure your setup works as intended.

1 Like

I do get that concept. And yes, when my detached garage burned in 2018 it was amazingly fast and hot. Had I not been home, the house would have went up as well. This is why, like yourself, I also feel (already existing) sensors with temperature functions would be too slow to be of use.

But, I would imagine since they recommend and use heat sensors in professional fire systems in commercial settings alongside with smoke detection etc. they would have to function appropriately, and quickly. Maybe not quickly enough in a Zigbee/Zwave setting though.

Like these, just with Zwave. They do have a "send wire", but I would rather not have another sensor in the mix.

https://www.firstalertstore.com/store/products/brk-brands-hardwire-heat-alarm-with-battery-backup-hd6135fb.htm?fbclid=IwAR29audZt-p3rwCvSPQdk7YqU4Xwmwffcbh87D4c8aNqS1BFRQMuQsxbMpk

You could use a thermal switch with a wired contact sensor.

2 Likes

I like this idea very much!

Preferably enclosed in something that gives it some degree of increased thermal protection.

2 Likes

That is pretty outstanding!

1 Like

I suspect that in commercial applications, the heat sensors are hard wired. That would be far more reliable than any wireless device. The temperature would have to get hot enough to melt either the sensor or the wiring.

Also interested if there are any (preferably Zigbee 'cos my mesh is good) heat alarms out there. Got some Heiman smoke alarms on the way but want a heat alarm for the kitchen.
The only one I've found so far is made by Frient (model number 20209700) but I've no idea if it plays nice with HE.

2 Likes