HE spamming logs - Firmware update for [:] failed

Aargh - shutdown/restart did not help. Still getting the failed update messages.

Shutdown/Restart at 9:36 AM:

Failed update log messages at 9:42 AM:

@mike.maxwell @jtp10181 - any other ideas?

Wait - did you mean to literally disconnect HE from the power source? I did the shutdown from the settings menu and then flipped the switch to get it to restart...

Yes, using Node-RED already to send events to InfluxDB for Grafana. But thats just the events, not the actual log.

Yes, but you must have cut the power to restart it, just most people don't have it on a switch. Typical advise is to leave it unplugged for 10+ seconds so it can fully power down.

Also, I just noticed you are not running the newest firmware, so maybe if you update to the current it will stop complaining? 2.2.8.156 is what I am running right now on a C7.

Yeah - I do the same for events to a mySQL database. I just tagged on the logs to the same database using the websocket node and pointing it to the HE logsocket connection. There is one little trick to this - if HE is restarted (and NR is not), the websocket node thinks it is connected but it is not receiving any data. I use the NR API to force NR to "redeploy" a flow when it sees a systemStart event from HE and that fixes it.

OK - will disconnect HE from power and see if that fixes it. Thanks for your help.

Well - pulling the power did not fix it either :frowning_face: Hub was restarted (after pulling the power connection) at 10:08 AM and there are a bunch of entries at 11:03 AM and then again at 11:49 AM

Going to update HE firmware to the latest and see what happens.

Please do, I've had this on my todo list for some time!

Well - upgrading to the latest firmware did not fix the issue. I'm still getting the "Firmware update for [:] failed" message in the logs :man_shrugging:t4:. Updated the firmware at 1:37 PM and got the warning log entries at 3:47PM and again at 5:03PM.

I also got the following in response to the ticket that I opened. Does this mean that the ticket is closed? I got an acknowledgement and right after I got the second message saying that the system will not accept replies, so it looks like there is no way to update support on the steps that I have taken. Please let me know if I am not understanding the process!

I will do that - probably add it to the Node-RED samples thread and link it here. Will take me a few days to get it all organized.

1 Like

theres a zigbee device out there that insists on trying a firmware update and isn't giving up, how many zigbee devices do you have setup?

Mike - I have 25 zigbee devices. I have not intentionally started an update. The last devices that I added were the IRIS motion sensors. Below is the list of the devices, the drivers being used and the manufacturer. Any help would be really appreciated.

1 Like

see if you can figure out which device is doing this, if you enable debug logging one by one, you may see some debug data that matches the Hub log timing for these events.

1 Like

Thanks - will try this, starting with the IRIS motion sensors that were added last..

Mike - I don't know if this is going to work. There is no pattern (timing etc.) to the warning messages. I turned debug on for one of the IRIS motion sensors but by the time the warning message happened, the debug had turned itself off. I am using the generic motion/temp driver and I think that it automatically turns debug off after some time. Any other suggestions?

Itโ€™s sort of a hackish way to do it, but if you enable the debug logging, switch the driver to โ€œdeviceโ€ then use the clear schedules command it will remove the timer that turns off the logging. Then switch back to the normal driver. Do not save preferences on the normal driver Again or it will start the timer again. Debug logging should stay on indefinitely until you turn it off at that point.

1 Like

Well - I thought I'd solved this by doing 3 things but no luck. I have tried the following for the 2 IRIS motion sensors (v3):

1. Changed driver to "device" and deleted any scheduled jobs
  2. Changed driver to Generic Zigbee motion (instead of the one with motion/temp/humidity)
  3. Download backup, do a soft reset and restore from backup

@jtp10181 - I have not tried your hack because the timing of the warnings is so unpredictable (it stopped for > 12 hours and then happened within 3 hours again) and while I think that it is related to the IRIS motion sensors, I cannot be sure (I have quite a few zigbee devices, so it would be quite a painful process).

Does anyone know if zigbee devices can try and update on their own (not user initiated)? Do IKEA and Xiaomi devices do something? Anything else that I should/could try?

By happy (unhappy?) coincidence, I managed to turn on debug logging for the IRIS motion sensor just at the time the firmware update warning happened.

This is what I see in the logs:

@mike.maxwell - does this mean anything?

Yesterday morning, I removed the 2 IRIS Motion Sensors (v3) from HE and I am no longer seeing the "warning" for failed firmware update (it has been over 24 hours).

I do have a need to use these sensors, so if anyone is using them on a C-5,(latest firmware) can you let me know if you are not seeing these log messages? Also, which driver are you using? Since I removed both at the same time, I don't know if I just have a sensor that is acting up or if there is something else going on.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

It took me a while to get to this but here is a link to the solution

Hope this helps!

That's awesome, thanks very much for the detailed write-up!

I have some of these pieces in place already but your flows will help me to fill in the gaps :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.