HE and Cloud Apps/Hubs

Digging deeper into the switch from Wink 2 to Hubitat.

It looks like about half of the things I own will switch directly from the old Wink to the HE (Yay!). The other half of devices I have:

1. Have their own cloud based apps
  2. and/or are controlled via Amazon Echo

So, when I get around to connecting the HE to the Amazon Echo will the HE "see" those devices and give me them as virtual devices on the HE dashboards?

If so, would connecting HE to the Google Home app be the quick and dirty way of getting Nest devices onto the HE?

Thanks again for all the help!

No. There is no way to control devices connected to Amazon Alexa directly from Hubitat. You also cannot do this directly from Google Home either. There are several workarounds available using virtual devices but none of them are very easy to set up for someone who is unfamiliar with how Hubitat works.

I am curious....you were able to sync devices connected directly to the Alexa cloud to Wink? I was unaware that Amazon had any 2-way device integrations available.

No, this doesn't work that way. Google home is about controlling devices, not giving control to other systems to control devices. It is not set up to work that way.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

So, for now it seems like HE is just going to be a replacement for my Wink 2 hub. I want to be ready in case Wink finally shutters.

Everything else in my house works as is so I will probably keep it that way at first.

I was hoping that the HE was going to be the "one who rules them all" and I'd have some master dashboard with everything on it. Still a possibility but I'll just have to learn more or eventually change out devices that work directly with HE.

I am curious....you were able to sync devices connected directly to the Alexa cloud to Wink? I was unaware that Amazon had any 2-way device integrations available.

The Wink hub connects to Alexa so I could have control over everything Wink related in Alexa, but the other devices didn't show up in Wink's app - if that's what you are asking.

Yes, it was. If wink can't do this, why would you assume Hubitat could? Neither google nor amazon allow control of devices connected to them by other devices connected to them. They are one-way control conduits. You connect device to them and then you can control them from Google/Alexa. There are workarounds that can let you attempt to control them, but as I said, trying to set those up for a beginner would be difficult and they are not very dependable. There is also no positive feedback so they can get out of sync easily. It is better to get devices that connect to Hubitat and then from Hubitat to Alexa.

1 Like

Unfortunately, others want to be the "one to rule them all". Google, Amazon, Apple . . .