Having a weird problem with memory loss

C-8 With : 2.3.8.133

Having a weird problem with memory loss...
Went for 2-3 days with a consent mem of : 471
Then after 3-4 days it dropped to 410
then after 7 hrs dropped again to 385 ( see picks )

Not sure whats up / going on never seen it do this before.
Nothing has changed in those few days. Suggestions / Ideas Guys ?

a2
a3

Honestly at those memory levels it isn't anything to worry about. One of those logs shows HPM performing a update check and refreshing it's data. That memory may go back up or stay where it is depending on the memory demand of the hub. If it isn't generally busy it may leave the data in memory for awhile as it is better to have data in memory then needing to load it from disk as long as your hub doesn't need the memory for other tasks.

It is kind of dependent on your setup. As long as you don't have things failing it shouldn't be a worry that memory is going down a bit. Eventually it will start to sawtooth and stay pretty level. This is how mine stabilizes on my C8 Prod hub.

1 Like

Well I would tend to agree ..
But in this case it fell off what I can tell no reason if you look at the logs.
And for days, it was rock solid. With no changes.
Its never done that before ¯\(ツ)/¯ and I keep an eye on it.
I swear I have the weirdest problems all the time with my setup. :frowning:

I have experienced certain stuff causing unexpected drops so it never surprises me. When i have worked on my dev hub i have seen many sudden drops over the day when i have done things like installed several devices, or had HPM run updates, or install a few apps for testing. I know you don't think you were doing anything to trigger it, but something trigger the action, It could even be something that is just baked in the hub.

I would update to .138. Memory has been much better for me on all 3 of my hubs.

Thanks .. I did this today hope it helps!

2 Likes

Unless and until something goes wrong, and you can clearly tie it back to memory levels, it's really not something to be too concerned about.

My C8 ran below 200 constantly with no issues, going as low as 150 was common.

I don't track memory for it's own sake, but if I have issues then it's something I'll look at then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmmm .. Mine does not like that at all .. if it goes to like 300 or less
I seem to start having problems ¯\(ツ) /¯ I did the update to .138
and so far at 16 hrs, its steady at 578 guess we will see how long it stays that way ..
As I said its just weird that it was doing that for no apparent reason.

There is absolutely zero reason that having below 300mb of memory would cause any issues. I am guessing something else is slowly degrading performance and it hits a tipping point around the same time your memory dips. This is why everyone reports different limits for how low the mem can go. I have had one of my hubs down below 90Mb during a beta one time when there was nasty memory leak. It was still running fine. I wanted to see how low it could go.

My router is sitting here with 32mb free mem for weeks and it runs just fine. It starts out with around 130mb free and then it gets chewed up by cache pretty quick.

The key is how much memory you need whenever you have something new run that needs temp space. I would expect as long as you don't see java out of memory alerts in the hub logging, memory is probably not a issue. Memory consumption isn't bad as long as you have enough free memory for new tasks to start. That is all dependent on your personal setup and the apps you run so what works for one person may not work for another. As you can see in my graphic my hub runs regularly around 150mb or even less when it has been up for a while. It doesn't have issues at that memory level.

If memory is a big concern, then just splurge for the C8 Pro. That is one of the big benefits that hub version has over all previous ones.

1 Like

No doubt about that - seeing 1.4 or 1.5G free on my C8P's has cured all my memory anxiety issues. :grin:

1 Like

Well thanks guys ... IDK why you guys can have hubs that do just fine with low memory.
Like I said .. I updated to .138 and sofar its steady at : 566 or so. But its only been 1.6 days LOL
I do not use webcore or anything crazy with my setup, Its a really a simple setup.
Like I said, I pretty much kept an eye on all of this since day one, and I've never seen it do that before. maybe I have a bad memory stick inside the hub wish there was a Memory Diagnostic Tool
for the hub :slight_smile: I guess we'll find out in a few days.

1 Like

I can't add anything meaningful, only that I do like the play on words in the title.... If you can remember back that far... :wink:

Seriously.... Hope you can sort our your issue... Does highlight the benefit of keeping some level of history for hub stats like these.... Just saying...

3 Likes