Has anyone turned a raspberry pi into a vpn hotspot?

I pay for pia vpn and have a pi . I want to extend the vpn to my appletv. This CAN BE DONE, but looks complicated. Has anyone done it?

I have done something similar in the past, however I ran the OpenVPN client on my ASUS Router. This then made all traffic in the house go through the VPN connection. Doing so has its pros and cons. It was very useful when I was traveling abroad, to take my own router and Roku device with me. :wink:

Routing a single device’s traffic through the RPi’s VPN client connection might not be all that simple a task... :thinking:

2 Likes

This video might help you out.

1 Like

Any way I can envisage, the Pi would need to have two network interfaces (eth0/eth1 or eth0/wlan0). The VPN client would have to be bound to one interface (eth0) and the Apple TV connected to the other. Traffic through the second would have to be routed through the first.

Much easier to do this at the router level, especially when so many routers have VPN clients now.

1 Like

Thx, I’ve seen the instructions but it seems complicated. I guess I’ll just jump in and try it

I have Fios and you have to use their router as the primary, or else I would

Yes, the Pi would have to sit between your FiOS router and the Apple TV, with one interface connected to the FiOS router and the other connected to the Apple TV.

Yup, I meant that’s why I can’t use a vpn router

Most ISP's will allow you to put their router in "bridge" mode allowing you to use a personal router.

1 Like

Fios will, but the router has to be first. To use vpn, the other router must be “first”

1 Like