Has anyone had the chance to try this out? GE Enbrighten Quad Scene

i'm looking for a portable scene controler and stumbled upon this one, GE Enbrighten 34176 Z-Wave Quad Scene . It's not listed on the compatible list yet, I was just curious if anyone's had the chance to try it out and what their thoughts were on it.

Thanks for any info/reviews

4 Likes

I had not seen that one yet ..

At first glance looking at the certification specs.. It looks like a basic central scene controller.. So you can probably use the generic driver..

If not .. let me know.. I may order one to write the driver for it..

Details from the certification

1 Like

OH! That's kinda good looking. I'll be following.

1 Like

It was only available starting last month. Since it has 4 "scenes" in one device, I'm not sure the generic driver would work. We'll prolly have to wait till either @mike.maxwell (or a community member) gets their hands on one and writes a driver for it. $50 is a little steep for a button device but it does have 8 buttons and does fit in a decora face-plate. It does support direct association too though, so you could control z-wave devices without controlling it through Hubitat.

Oddly enough, they also have a single and a dual model...which are almost the same price. "Oh yes, I would like less functionality for the same money, please" said no one, ever.

2 Likes

I Just ordered one, It should be here next week. we'll see how it works with the included generic drivers.

1 Like

Yea.. let me know.. I don't personally need one of these.. But would get it to write a driver if the built-in ones don't work..

1 Like

I think it has more to do with aesthetics and simplicity. If you don't need the extra buttons at a location then having 4 might be confusing and cluttered for no reason. It looks like they're trying to compete with Lutron here. $15 per remote but need extra hub or $50 a pop? I know my choice here but regardless...competitiion and options are great for us consumers! :+1:

2 Likes

Oh, I totally get why they'd have multiple models. But if you're getting 1/4 the buttons I would have expected it to be a little less. Maybe $39, $44 and $49 or something like that.

The REALLY strange thing, the Picos pricing is even stranger. The 2 button is always more than the 5. But i think that has to do with popularity than anything. Since there are more people who want the 5 button, more people sell it, which brings the price down.

1 Like

Would you mind shipping it to me after you write the driver so..you know...I can test the driver and stuff and..uhh..provide valuable feedback and bug testing.
Just trying to do my part.

5 Likes

Way to "take one for the team."
:wink:

3 Likes

Anytime, I'm here for you guys.

3 Likes

I'm with you on the pricing.

Maybe it's because you get:

4 Buttons: Really Ugly
2 Buttons: Just Ugly
1 Button: Only Mildly Ugly

The 34172 should definitely be cheaper though, only the one Scene, should drop the price a bit. At least a few $...wait. The 2 Button is only $44! WTF? OK, there goes my theory, Ugliness does not affect price.

S.

Huh, I hadn't seen this yet and I want one. I'm going to check in with my "purchasing" department to see what tolerances we have right now. I just spent a bunch on a new amplifier for my theater room so I know the knee jerk reaction is going to be no but "purchasing" also owes me a favor because of a certain kitchen computer that will have to be reformatted.

2 Likes

Is this the department that sets the WAF? :wink:

1 Like

I think this might be the department that balances the Quality of Life Quotient.

Happy Variable W
/
Happy Variable L

3 Likes

Doesn't that always equal 1 though? I thought Happy Variable W = Happy Variable L :wink:

4 Likes

Exactly...Balance achieved.

Pure Nirvana can only be achieved by a select few
W/L = 42
AKA Sound Proof, Budgetless, AutoLocked Man Cave

I'm still building my Conditional IF's in RM to achieve this.

3 Likes

As was suspected it Definitely doesn't work with any of the Built in drivers i've tried. Driver creation is way beyond my skill set. so i'll have to wait @bcopeland or someone else gets a chance to write a driver for it. While i'm waiting (and when I find time) i'm gonna try to pair it directly to the GE fan Switch i've got to setup at home still

1 Like

I'll get one on order.. If I can still find it in stock.. But I have another project I need to get out of the way before I start on this one..

1 Like

Thank you @bcopeland Take your time, I'm in no rush

1 Like