Has anyone figured out a way to use ibeacon or eddystone beacons in hubitat?

Sick of the flaky presences detection (Hubitat app, Life360). Looking at a i3 robust beacon China i3 Robust Beacon manufacturers and suppliers | Minew , wondering if anyone has tried something like this before, is it even possible?

Yes I built an HE app that lets me track my location via iBeacon. I use locative on my iphone to call an api endpoint whenever I enter or leave.

1 Like

I played around with them, didn't like them for a few reasons.

1. ble on iphone had lots of issues.
  2. Didn't want to carry around a dongle or something else, Already have a phone and apple watch

In the end I built a little software that runs on a raspi and looks for my phones regular bluetooth mac address and measures RSSI (signal). one for each room I care about and it updates a attribute in hubitat. Been running it for a month and so far it's been very reliable.

This can be done with Locative and the built-in maker API as well.

It can but I had issues. For example sometimes I'd get a "leave" event followed by an "enter" event 2 seconds later. They were false leave events. So I added debouncing code to my app so it makes sure you "stay gone" for 30 seconds before triggering a depart.

1 Like

if you are still interested in this, I just built this: BLE (Beacon) Gateway Manager. I wanted to be able to detect when my vehicles arrived or left home using beacons and use that info to automate events (like opening/closing the right garage door).