Has anyone bought a meater +

Well I haven't tried a cook yet but your drivers work well for me. Thanks so much for sharing. The probes aren't cheap, but they are so hand for smokers, rotisserie etc.

The previous way I used to get them into hubitat was pretty unreliable, which was a tablet with tasker than read the screen values and past them into hubitat. Wasnt reliable and practical as the screen had to stay on.

This is heaps better and means I use my meater again for the smoker as the rest of the smoker is tasmota based (temp control by a pwm fan and thermocouple for feedback). But to have the food probes wireless is much more practical, and on some cases the only way.

What sort of use cases do you use your integration for anyways? The way I’m looking forward to using this is announcing cook progress on my Sonos speakers everywhere, including on my landscape speakers, so I don’t miss a phone notification. But I’m guessing you’ve got some good ideas about how else to use this.

My uses are mainly monitor internal temp (and now cook time remaining seeing meater had that) on a dashboard. That same dashboard sets the tasmota (looking at changing that to hubduino) device target temp to change speed for a pwm fan to fuel the charcoal burning smoker when needed. A few other settings to adjust the sensitivity/gain of the fan response.

I'll also do similar for the rotisserie but that pushes cold air in to keep temperatures right rather than using the air to fuel the fire/heat.

I may even move the temp feedback to come from the meater ambient temp instead of the thermocouple attached the tasmota/hubduino device..

All my logic/program are in hubitat rules rather than on the esp device seeing timing isn't critical

1 Like

Just in case it gives others ideas. I've created a variable that equals the internal temp value attribute created by these drivers. That turns it into a decimal value rather than string. I then set a virtual temperature sensor I created to that variable. I can now use hubigraphs to plot my meat temperature graph, like the meater app has but in a hubitat dashboard.

I like that idea. I may do the same but with my google based devices. Maybe look at how it likes the remaining time and announce every time the period reduces by a certain amount.

Some feedback. It seems when the meater disconnects it reports back as device offline. Which then causes problems when using the values as integers or decimals. I could fix this with an if statement so it doesn't cause errors in my rules when they change from a number to text however so no big problem. I assume the no device comes from their api anyway rather than your driver.

No, it actually comes from the driver. The issue is that I can’t set the temperature to null when the device disconnects - that’s not how the event-based Hubitat system works. I could just not update the temperature, but I don’t love leaving stale data in the driver. The only other option, I think, is to set it to 0 or some arbitrary negative number, but then I’m not sure your rules would like that any better. Did you have an expectation on how it should behave?

Agree. Stale values are dangerous. Especially when moving away the meater app for most of my cook..

No I hadn't thought too much. If it was assigned say -99 then rules would be fine with that value.. But it could introduce other problems hmmm.

Below may all be gibberish as I haven't thought or relooked at what I did yet. So take this as a grain of salt (or do not read).

I think even with the current implementation (which does look nice on tiles) an if statement saying that if the meater internal temp attribute is "no device" then don't do anything. Then, if not process code using the meater temperature... This may not work though as I haven't given much thought. I sorta got confused when I've created global variables to equal the device attribute and then made a virtual temperature device equal that variable... 3 things with the same value.. Actually 4 things as I am also doing some rounding of some values which is another virtual device (driver supplied by someone here that I will go find and credit later). However I'm now wondering if I over complicated things anyway.

Alright. I’m not really sure where to go with this then. Let me know if you think of a way that will work well for you.

1 Like

Have you noticed that the cloud goes offline occasionally? Just for a short time.

Maybe my device (either the spare phone I left near the smoker to send it to the cloud or Bluetooth connection) .. It definitely isn't your driver as meater cloud wasn't available on my main phone when I noticed. Usually it's fine though and I was cooking for 10 hours so it's not really a big issue.

Really not a priority, and I've already done this affectively by creating global variables and virtual devices with rule machine assigning values, but perhaps each attribute could be a child device. So the internal temp is a temperature sensor, time remaining a time connector..

This may not be possible, so excuse my lack of knowledge with child devices.. And also maybe not worth your efforts. So please don't feel this is a request for my application as I can manage all this.

Yeah, I reached that conclusion myself as well. I think it makes sense to have a "Probe" device, with an Internal Temp child device and an Ambient Temp child device. The child devices will each be temperature sensors. The Probe parent device can then have data representing the cook as a whole.

As far as the time remaining aspect, I don't know that the Time Variable Connector is the right fit. That seems to be used for time of day, not time duration (Rule Machine Time Variables). Or is that not your experience? I've never actually used the Time Variable Connector.
There is a TimedSession capability that might work - just not sure how that's going to work in this case since the time remaining gets updated pretty often with each poll.

This sounds like a good idea.

True that. I used it for time of day in another project, not duration..

I can work with what's provided personally, it's just a little effort to create variables etc to convert from seconds.. Not hard, just a little more work and variables/devices.

Another possible way to present the time remaining is to convert it to hours (rounded up all the time so when it hits say 4h it announces 4h, rather than it announcing it at 4.49h), and perhaps a seperate decimal for hours..

At the moment I have converted the remaining from seconds to hours, then used a rounding app (still haven't credited the author above, which I should do) so google home announces the tile remaining when the hour changes (your usage prompted me to do this)..

As far as for a tile, I guess the remaining time could just be presented in decimal format in hours with limited decimal points.. Or perhaps a string that has hours and minutes... Too many different cases. Personally Id use integers and decimals over a string but that's me..

I updated the driver to do this. I ended up setting the temperature sensors to 0 if the probe is offline. You'll need to uninstall and then re-install since this changed the device types.

1 Like

Great job with this. I just integrated it over the weekend.

Pulling out the smoker tomorrow will make use of this meater integration again. I'm a little rusty and thibj I've left the drivers as the original release as my rules change strings to decimals etc so don't want to change drivers until I redo hubitat which is on the cards..

Looking forward to it. Both seeing how it all works again (my smoker uses an esp2866 running hubduino with a fan to feed the fire with a thermocouple for feedback as permanent install, plus the meater with no cord so it's easy to move the meat around that now shows on the dashboard thanks to this integration perhaps later using as the temperature feedback) and of course the eating :grin:

Wow. I just noticed you @Barry have 8x meater probes. That's some serious cooking going on there

1 Like

I do a lot of large cooks for our church and other events. Actually up to 12 probes now, added another Block.

1 Like

Created a post dedicated to the meater driver here: [RELEASE] Meater Driver

1 Like