Harmony integration remote needed?

Do you need to have a remote or just the hub to use with hubitat? I've loaded the driver(s) and now looking to purchase the device. just do not want to waste money if a remote if useless!! or just not needed with hubitat.

Just the hub. That's all I have in my home office and it works great.

It depends on what you want to do with it. Personally, I would get the version with the inexpensive remote, as it really comes in handy if you want to control volume, change channels, etc...

2 Likes

I agree with ogiewon. Every now and then you will see the remote and hub combo go on sale for the same price as the hub alone. Get it with the remote. Its worth it. You can't do everything with hubitat and the smartphone app is just not as nice to use. That remote works really well.

I have 3 of these setup in my home.

2 Likes

Do you need a separate hub for each remote?

You'll need a hub in each room you want to control devices in.

Yes. The Harmony Hub is paired with its Remote Control. The Hub is really the brains and sends all of the IR commands to the devices. So, you need one in each room that you want to control home entertainment devices.

When setting up multiple hubs in a house, can you have them setup with Alexa so that when you are in a specific room and you say "Alexa watch TV" she turns on only that TV, etc. and not all the TV's?

Yes, but that doesn't go through Hubitat. That's a feature of the Echo. You have to set it up in the Amazon app.