Hampton Bay fan controller replacement?

Is that resistor the only thing that burnt up? If so, and if you have the tools, I would just replace the resistor. Although then I'd probably try to bench-test the device before putting it back up in the ceiling, because it might just blow again due to some other internal fault.

The thought did cross my mind, but short of uninstalling one of the others I had, I wasn't sure how to find the the resistor size since its completely burned up. Honestly though without knowing why it blew not sure I would trust it afterwards.

2 Likes

Blew, blew, blew is 66 MΩ, if I remember my resistor color codes correctly. :grinning:

Of course, I should throw in a disclaimer that I'm an expert at letting the "magic smoke" out of electrical circuits.....

2 Likes

If you have a switch in the room that is in a good location for the fan switch. You could remove the old box and add an old-work double box after enlarging the hole. Then wire the Inovelli switch in with the old light switch. This is a project for those that are experienced with house wiring.

There is and I'll have to double check that the neutral is in the box. So far most of the switches I've replaced the neutral wasn't in the box.

I appreciate everyone's responses. It gives me several things to consider. I've got 2 paths forward.

• Re-wire the fan to use a Lutron Caseta Light switch/dimmer and a separate Fan switch.
  • Install the Inovelli LZW36, hopefully using the wiring from an existing switch, worse case re-wire fan.

Hey kc8nmz I know this was a couple months ago but I found a new fan controller by Hampton bay that seems to have replaced the discontinued one you referred to.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Premier-Universal-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-68131/205846352

Does anyone have positive confirmation if this is also Zigbee protocol and if it will work with the same drivers etc. as the previous HBFC talked about in the thread below?

Looking at the manual, it looks to me like this is a non-smart device. It simply adds a remote control function to fans that don't have it. Basically the old HBFC with the Zigbee radio ripped out! Or rather, never put in.

S

2 Likes

This appears to be Home Depot’s replacement for the discontinued Zigbee HBFC, however it uses WiFi, not Zigbee. I have not seen any integration with Hubitat, yet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Smart-Wi-Fi-4-Speed-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Works-with-Google-Assistant-SmartThings-and-Alexa-99434/311264804?

It appears to use “Bond” technology to make it smart. To me, that seems like a good decision versus yet another cloud provider that could go belly up any day.

2 Likes

I wonder if it will work with Hubitat using @dman2306’s Bond integration:

2 Likes

Sounds like a "smart by bond" device, so yes it should work. No Bond hub required, the integration should provide a direct LAN integration with the fan.

2 Likes

Cool thanks guys! @scottgu3 I didn't see the WiFi at first but it was quite late at the time. @ogiewon I'm assuming this discontinuation is why all the related fans are sold out.

I punted and bought it since I couldn't find a good alternative in a fully integrated fan solution after a couple hours searching, so I will report back on the integration. I am open to recommendations on fans that wouldn't need any controller retrofitting still though if anyone knows of good successors to the HBFC series.

I am new to HA as well, so some general info would be greatly appreciated. For WiFi enabled devices, these can all be added to the Hubitat as LAN devices correct? I am planning to tackle the migration from Homebridge plugins to Hubitat for the few LED controllers I have this week.

Well, another good option is the Inovelli LW36 z-wave fan controller.

4 Likes

Not necessarily.

There’s no WiFi equivalent for a “generic” driver the same way there is for many zigbee and z-wave drivers.

Most WiFi devices will need a driver specific to the device, because there’s no standardization for the way WiFi IoT devices communicate with the hub.

2 Likes

I've been using this for about two weeks and I have ZERO complaints with it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don't have a wall switch. My main motivator for getting into HA was the fact that I only have 1 wall switch in my entire apartment, thus smart bulbs made sense, and now I am full blown down the rabbit hole.

@marktheknife thanks for that, it is helpful to understand the architecture.

Excellent, glad to hear it. You are using the BOND driver from Dan?

I believe he was referring to the Inovelli LW36, based on the post of mine he responded to.

1 Like

Dang, thanks for the clarification.

Did you find the answer if the Universal Smart Wi-Fi 4-Speed Ceiling Fan Remote
(https://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Smart-Wi-Fi-4-Speed-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Works-with-Google-Assistant-SmartThings-and-Alexa-99434/311264804#product-overview) connects to Hubitat with the Bond drivers, without it requiring the Bond hub, the canopy receiver doesn't require the bond hub.

The Inovelli LW36 z-wave is not suitable for my scenario.

Thanks

Man, these OG Zigbee Hampton Bay controllers seem to burn out rather quickly. I get about 6 months per on my ceiling fan. My theory is that it's because I never run it on high, which is just a relay with full-flow.... and any mode lower is some sort of PWM that loads up a transistor somewhere that eventually fails from heat.

I'm definitely going to look at the resistor pictured above. Curious if the new ones have the same problem. 3 of the 3 units I've purchased now for my ceiling fan have had either the fan or light portion fail now, in less than 2 years total ownership.