[HACK] Updated - 5v DC Zigbee module from Sengled BR30

Huh? The LEDs in LED bulbs do not run on 110v AC. That's why there is a buck converter in the bulb.

So, you hooked the Zigbee board back up to the main board that controls the LEDs in the bulb? That is not what your picture shows at all.

No it is not. I didn’t photograph what I did for this particular application, but did suggest in the original post that it could be done. Guess I wasn’t clear.

Not something I plan to do much, but for the incandescent garden lights, it works well. In the spring I may replace them with the OSRAM Gardenspots I got for cheap. Have not decided and probably won’t until I see how looks.

Nice one.
I always find it interesting seeing others DIY projects.

1 Like

Very neat. You make me jealous, I wish I had more time to tinker. I had some switchmates, but what a POS. Now adding zigbee makes it actually useful. For 30 bucks I'd wire up an Inovelli switch instead and be done, but then I'd lose the "look what I made" fun.
I recently converted my shitty samsung motion sensors to AAA batteries, now I actually like them.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3212345

Yeah but in Canada they are not available yet, I can only get the dimmers and they wouldn't handle the load of a heater and air cleaner. Closest thing is a Zooz ON/OFF and that's $50 CAD ($38 USD) plus 13% tax. Yes, it's a better switch by far, with status, but the Switchmate was a $7 investment and the Zigbee module was $3. Got to be creative here or you'll end up having to spend a lot more on this stuff than you guys do in the US.

Plus the building part is fun as you mention.

Original post found here regarding conversion of a Switchmate to Zigbee was removed. There is now a separate completely revised post with new methods the stabilize the output, make building the conversion easier and simplified the reset and pairing procedure.

2 Likes