GV connector. Does editing the device label break the connection?

Unrelated to the OP's question (sorry Geoff!) but this is another compelling reason to have the ability to edit the dashboard tile's device label or have a device "alias" that can be used for the dashboard.

1 Like

It shouldn't be a problem since the label is only linked to the device for display purposes. The device network ID is what is used to link the device to the apps that it works with. For example, if you change the label for a switch, you don't have to go back into all of your simple lighting apps and rebuild them. The same should be the case here. If you are seeing that it isn't then that might be a bug.

That's what I thought too, but my testing suggests otherwise.

I've just repeated the test from scratch.

Create a string GV. Create a connector. Edit connector Device Label to something new. Set String value in device page. It updates in the device page but the GV itself doesn't update.

Rename connector back to original and then the GV reflects device value changes again.

Could be a bug because the label should have nothing to do with the connector.

Right now, no. The mechanism depends on the device label.

Should it? Probably not.

Does it have to? It could be changed, and perhaps should be changed. However, changing it without breaking every existing connector would be very tricky. I will look into it.

This is not true with respect to connectors. These are a special type of device intimately linked to Rule Machine in ways that are quite different than normal devices.

Well, that might explain some of the problems I've been seeing trying to use them then. Less of a problem as long as it's a known "issue". Would be great if it could be changed though since it is the only thing that does rely on device label.

OK. I don't think its a big problem especially now that I am aware of it. I'm still very grateful for even having the functionality at all so I'm not going to moan about the details of it.

I'm scratching my head about a way to change it without breaking current stuff. It may not be possible.

I figured out how to fix this without breaking everything. Next release. After that, the device label will be independent of the functioning of the connector, as it should have been in the first place.

8 Likes

Thanks Bruce.

This issue has been fixed in the latest hot fix release.

4 Likes

15 hours from mention of issue to release of fix. The Hubitat team continue to amaze. Brilliant support. :+1:

4 Likes

Ridiculous. Does anyone at Hubitat umm sleep? You guys don't suck even one little bit.

I'd like to change the global variable name as some of my names are a bad choice without having to delete , rework rules using them. Is this possible?

You can change the Label, which changes the name displayed,

I tried as above and nothing really changed. I couldn't access the new variable name in a rule. It either doesn't work or I'm doing something wrong.

In devices I changed the rule machine connectors- label name -- it did nothing I could see.

Changing the device label doesn't have anything to do with the variable name as you would use it in RM. There is no way to change a variable name except to create a new one.

1 Like

Thank you. I find editing rules too clunky and difficult especially for long rules so I'll park changing the variables for a very wet day. I remember using single line editors in 1980's and marvelled when full screen editing came out!

If I understand it correctly, the next release of HE software will include a new "hub variable" that will be a proper object in the database. I'm assuming this will mean we will be able to rename them and have more 'normal' control and access over them compared with the current hard coded variables.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.