[Guide] Nortek HUSBZB-1 NVM Backup/Restore and Updating Z-Wave Firmware

Sorry I missed your earlier post about the firmware update. So maybe others can chime in as to whether that is the appropriate firmware or not..

In order for a stick to become a secondary controller to HE you need to pair it with the HE as normal... first go into HE and discover Z-Wave devices, start the inclusion process. Then on the PC Controller sofware running press "classic learn mode". Hopefully the device will appear in HE as a generic "Device".. that is all you need in HE. In your PC Controller sw a list of devices from HE should appear.

When this is done you should be able to use the NWI button at the top of the PC Controller SW interface and put your Z-Wave device in inclusion mode.

Note: S2 devices will NOT pair with S2 security. Better to pair them directly using the HE itself.

This is the only Z-wave device I have so I can't use another stick to troubleshoot it, pouring through the logs recently and it looks like I have somehow removed my stick's ability to have SUC which might prevent it from adding / removing nodes or actually working as a controller.

Next weekend when I have some free time I'd like to retry flashing the hardware, it would be great if @jp0550 has any advice about what I should do in the meantime. I did take backups of the main firmware, SRAM and NVR and maybe I can use those to restore function, but for the time being I'm just not sure what I should try next to get this thing in a state where it's capable of inclusion again.

Guess this should serve as a warning for anyone attempting this.

Have you tried to pair your stick with HE?

I might have misunderstood what your goals are - I was assuming you wanted to use your Nortek stick as a secondary controller to remove ghosts/add devices with no security etc. If that is not the case then I apologize for the confusion.

1 Like

It's alright, no worries. My goal was just to upgrade the Z-wave firmware on the Nortek stick included with the HE C-4 hub so I could experiment with some of the new features (which seemed to be what this thread was about). I had recently updated the Zigbee firmware on that stick and that was a wonderful process which greatly enhanced it's functionality.

The same can't be said for this process, and as the only Z-wave device on that hub, without it working as a SUC controller node or whatever to do inclusion, I can't rebuild my network and all my Z-wave devices have in fact been rendered useless. I will reattempt the process next weekend to see if I get better results, but I think for now anyone reading this needs to know:

This does not signify that the device will continue working. It will respond to traffic from other Z-wave devices nearby and log smartStart packets but it cannot include or work as a hub in any capacity.

1 Like

Have you tried with older tools like zensys? I've been running the newer firmware since around August (on a primary controller) and haven't had any issues with inclusions. I don't have any smart start devices, though which is why I left the smart start section in the guide as untested. I needed the upgrade for the rssi and latency info in a custom application I am using. I don't believe the suc message indicates that it wouldn't be capable of including devices, though, in general, but I need to brush up on the functions.
There are other prebuilt firmware versions in the sdk that might have it enabled. Which hex file did you flash?

The older zensys tools shouldn't have any notion of smart start so it should hopefully tell you if it's capable of inclusions using the older api methods.

@jp0550 Thank you for your reply, I tried again this weekend; all I did was uncheck the S2 keypair options and click 'Calibrate, Program and Verify', following the flashing procedure.

I am pleased to announce this fixed all my issues, the controller is now capable of adding devices in PC controller 5 and elsewhere. If anyone else repeats this tutorial and they do not see 'Inclusion Controller' when looking in the PC Controller 5 software, just try flashing it one more time :wink:

2 Likes

Is it possible to update the stick without erasing the current setup?

and @bravenel for people who have the nortek stick with the ability to read from the NVM, will a C4-->C7 migration be possible?

We have no idea if this would work or not, currently the nortec stick is specifically excluded from backing up the zwave bits.

It's not possible to downgrade the stick after the upgrade, but I think your question is on whether it wipes the stick's config or not. I was able to upgrade the firmware while keeping the current ZWave network in-tact.

Would it be possible to do a test where the NVM data pulled from one of these upgraded Nortek devices is sent to someone at Hubitat manually and then inserted into the database for a test user as if it had been uploaded from the device, and then migrated to a new hub to see if it takes it as expected?

I don't know if that's something we will entertain or not homestly, I'll run it up the flagpole and see what happens.

Thanks @mike.maxwell - If its any incentive.. its basically the only thing making me not upgrade to the C7. My home has many devices that are built in and / or extremely difficult to get to so re pairing all of those devices is practically speaking impossible - I've only done it once, when I moved over from Smartthings and the entire process took months and in some cases involved calling out an electrician. Although there may not be as many people with such difficulties as me, I reckon you may find that a lot of people would buy a new hub from Hubitat if they knew this was possible!

1 Like

Thanks so much for this guide! Amazing work!

I used the newest SDK version available (v6.84.0) which put version 6.10 on my stick when I was done.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the guide.
TP28 can be used for the reset. TP28 is on the opposite side of the board and is near pin 1 of the usb connector and also near C7. This is a much larger pad and easy to solder to. I successfully programmed used TP28. If you solder a wire, keep it short it might be sensitive to noise pickup.

I also used the 6.84 SDK which can be found here, look under z-wave-500-series.
https://www.silabs.com/developers/z-wave-500-series

For the PC controller software, that does not seem to be available as a direct link. One has to download simplicity studio 5, from within the application it gives you the option to download other software including the controller.

1 Like

Just did another stick using TP28 - much easier and very helpful info, thank you!!

I have already upgraded the HusbZb following this tutorial (V 6.09). If I want to update it to the new version 6.10, I have to disassemble the USB dongle again or can I do it directly from the Z-Wave PC Controller program? Thanks

Yes, I looked into the built-in upgrade mechanism, and if I'm remembering right there wasn't enough NVRAM in the stick to enable it.

Thanks @jp0550. So, I have to disassemble again.

@mike.maxwell - wanted to see if you guys would be up for doing the test where the nvm data is inserted manually into the database as if it had been uploaded from the device? Its a way for me esp to be able to move to a new hub if it worked - and it would only be a one off event for anyone wanting to do it so the burden in terms of requests is likely to be low

1 Like