Groups of Switches

What is the best method to create a group of switches (i.e. non-dimming lights)? I created a group of z-wave switches using the "Group Dimmer" functionality in Groups and Scenes, and it works, but in Google integration this simple on/off group appears to be a dimmer with color-setting capability. Is there a different grouping method, or perhaps a way to modify the group to indicate no dimming or color capability? I don't see any "Group Switch" option.

There is an app called Switch Binding which is a community integrated app that allows you to link two switches together and then control either one with the other. However, if one of those devices is a dimmer, it will come on with the last level it was set to. That is not ideal in all situations.

1 Like

Thanks again! While the switch binding does sound potentially useful in other applications, I may still control these switches independently and not necessarily always have them sync'ed. I just was surprised that there doesn't seem to be a way to group switches together in a way that doesn't also imply that the group has the ability to dim and change color.

Yeah, what you're seeing is normal. When you create a group with Groups and Scenes, it creates a group device with the full gamut of capabilities, including level (brightness) and color control, even if the devices contained inside are just on/off switches. As long as you only tell Google to turn the device on and off, this really shouldn't cause any problems (aside from confusion among other users if they think it is dimmable or it causes the device to display on-screen in a less-than-desirable fashion). Even if you try, it shouldn't cause any problems--it just won't do anything.

1 Like

Then you don't want to use an app like the group app either. Because eventually it is going to be out of sync. I would suggest either controlling them independently or together. Not trying to do both.

Sound advice. However, so far, it seemed to be working the way I would expect. Each switch can be turned on or off independently. Turning the group "on" turns all switches on if they weren't already, and turning the group "off" turns all switches off if they weren't already. Along the lines of @bertabcd1234's post, I just didn't like that the group of on/off switches looked like a dimmer with color control when I pulled it up in Google Home.

Do you have it set to turn on when any of the components are on? That will help you if you are trying to turn the group device off to turn off any of the component devices.

No, I left that option off, because I wasn't trying to have the state of one light change the state of the whole group. I only wanted to the state of all the lights to change if the state of the group changed. Again, the functioning of the group and individual switches is exactly as I would expect. I just thought it would be cleaner if there was a group type specifically for switches that could only turn on/off. Or, for that matter, a group for dimmers that didn't also imply color changing capability.

Yeah, then it would have to be 3 apps. One for switches, one for CT lights and one for color lights.

Why not just create a virtual switch and a rule that uses it to control the switches that you want to group?

1 Like

It's been a little while since I've had time at home to play with the Hubitat, but circumstances have obviously changed!

This was very helpful. I've figured out how to create a virtual switch and use it to control multiple switches with Simple Lighting. My next step was to try this with multiple dimming bulbs and a virtual dimmer. Can I do this with Simple Lighting, or is something else needed? I've gotten the virtual dimmer to turn the bulbs on and off, and set one specific level when turning on, but adjusting the level in Google Home does not change the level of the bulbs. Any tips?

Thanks!

I think what you want is the built-in mirror app ..

That looks very useful, too, but I want to be able to control these devices independently as well as collectively. The group works fine, but makes the group appear as a color dimmer even if it's just a group of switches. The virtual switch works great to control multiple switches with simple lighting, but I haven't figured out yet how to make a virtual dimmer control multiple dimmers in the same way.