Group Classification for Shades

I’ve grouped 2 Lutron Caseta shades together - Master Bedroom Left Shade and Master Bedroom Right Shade are grouped and Master Bedroom Shades. Grouping classifies them as a dimmer switch, the problem with that is that I’m using voice commands (Siri through HB) to open the shades and Siri / HK doesn’t recognize “open” and “close”, I have to say “on” or “off”. Is there a solution for this?

Yes, I do a similar thing for our Somfy drapes. I made an Alexa routine that says “open the dining room drapes”, with an action to turn the drapes device on, and another routine for close / off. Perhaps similar can be done with Siri, which I don’t use.

1 Like

Apple Shortcuts might be able to do the same thing with Siri. I haven’t tested that though. If it doesn’t work with the group device, you could still create a shortcut to voice control the two shade devices with Siri.

1 Like

Thanks @672southmain and @marktheknife, I took that suggestion but used two scenes instead of shortcut, one for open and one for close. Would be nice if groups supported shades in the future though - feature request :slight_smile:

Not sure whether this is connected to your issue (perhaps not).

I'm also using Siri via HomeBridge and previously I could "open/close" curtains or "set curtain to 50" with Siri. My curtain motors are connected to Qubino Flush Shutter modules or Fibaro Roller Shutter 3 modules. This no longer works and I get a "Hmmm there are no accessories that support that". Another forum user alluded that it occurred after a recent update to iOS.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell could a group type of blinds be added to groups app? Not a bad request me thinks. Probably would have to be separated :thinking: from lamps and dimmers that is.

1 Like

@johnwill1, that's exactly what started happening to me within the last couple weeks as it relates to my group of shades. The individual shades come over through HB as shades so open/close still works on them. I was thinking it was related to an iOS update as well because Siri started having issues with opening my front door telling me it's not supported, when it always has been. But, the group of shades is defined as a dimmer switch, and it comes into HK as that, so on/off seems to make more sense than open/close unless it can be redefined.

1 Like

For all those that see this and would like blind/shade groups supported, I found this feature request already out there if you want to upvote - Extend Groups to support Blinds

1 Like

@bob23 I'm having the issue with a single curtain without groups. All modules controlling them have the shade capability so I'm not sure how I can resolve it. I don't know whether it's a HomeBridge issue or something that Apple would need top resolve. It's a bit of a pain as I've dumped Alexa but thankfully I don't use the voice control much as the shades are opened/closed with RM rules.

I was looking for that functionality the other week so that I could have my timed rules only send a command to close if the group member was open, which is something I had in WebCore when I was using SmartThings.

1 Like

Shades as a group are supported in Room Lights.

1 Like

Select the shades you want to group in the Devices to Activate pull-down. Give the group an Activate Device name in the lower right corner of the main page. Then, controlling that device as a shade will control the entire group.

3 Likes

Not very intuitive, but works like a charm. Thanks, @bravenel!