Groovy deprecation on ST plaform - October 15, 2022

There goes legacy groovyon the SmartThings platform. The Groovy IDE is now going away, that is the nail in the coffin for the independent developer for their platform. With them going to LUA I wonder how many dev's will just abandon the platform?

1 Like

I am glad I got all my source code out of their IDE and sitting in github.

1 Like

Since ST is moving to local processing (like HE), why did they also change from Groovy to ULA? Given the effort and grief of changing the underlying platform, ST must see something really beneficial to moving to ULA.

LUA :slight_smile:

1 Like

LUA is a lot less resource hungry according to this article...

I always figured it was because ST didn't have a JVM on the SmartThings hub and adding one was too complicated for their remaining engineers. Or than new engineers didn't want to work in "old" JAVA/Groovy and wanted something new and shiny. But I'm just making stuff up based upon my past experiences in the field.

3 Likes

Groovy allowed the dIY'ers to do cool stuff.

Which battered the smartthings servers and generated no cash.

So, they shagged it.

/ accurate summary.

8 Likes

And this is what lead to the creation of Hubitat many years ago! :wink:

10 Likes

So glad I moved to Hubitat from ST last year. No regrets.

6 Likes

Lua helps them get local automation using hubs that were designed for cloud-driven automations.

I’m guessing this will end up being somewhat memory limited as well …..

6 Likes

I'm sure that this will be of great assistance to the 4 users who may make use of it, once it's actually available in full, several years down the line.

=p

2 Likes

And they've made this announcement before they've taken the new services out of beta, and before they have an actual real UI for the Rules API. It's like they don't care at all about the users.

1 Like

All they care about is joe blow with a samsung tv and two light bulbs.

8 Likes

I still have my Z-Wave devices on ST due to not trusting the C7, tried to pick up a C5 loads of times but they always get pulled on eBay for some reason and I'm in the UK so makes it a lot harder to get one

I wouldn't mind changing the devices to edge and then pulling them into habitat but that's going to be hard without hubconnect
Also, I looked at my installed/available edge drivers and all I see are z-wave switch, how do I get Z-Wave lock, siren etc available if its this confusing I can't work it out there's going to be a lot of angry people in 6 weeks

Start trusting your C-7 (especially if you've done the Z-wave SDK update) and move the devices over.

9 Likes

but TMI on this forum

I moved most of the devices to ZigBee in the last 6 months
Only left with
2 x Sirens
3 x Locks
2 x Repeaters
5 x Plug Outlets

Tried twice before the last SDK update and it was terrible also had between 30-40 devices back then

I found the code but how do you install them surely all the default edge drivers should all show up by default

Most of those should be available - by removing the device and pairing it back. but those questions are best to be asked over on the ST forum and not here :slight_smile:

those not available to production, you can subscribe to their beta channel invitation or other developers by clicking on a link they provide. login and select the drivers.