Groovy deprecation on ST plaform - October 15, 2022

Welcome to you new cloud hassle free life :partying_face:

3 Likes

You say that but I'm having issues with hue motion sensors staying active which is annoying

If they're zigbee, check for WiFi interference.

I have another 75 devices all working fine, the devices when stuck on active still update lux and temp

ok, that officially counts as Weird, in my book :smiley:

1 Like

Do you have a lot of mains based zigbee repeaters?

I have 4 sonoff usb sticks joined as repeaters, one Smartthings Outlet, and 4 zbmini
Our arrival sensors now arrive home three houses away. It seems the Hue devices don't like sonoff as I rarely see one repeated on getChildAndRouteInfo

Do you mean routers? Because a zigbee network can have just a single coordinator.

If you mean routers, which firmware version are you using? Versions prior to "CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_router_20220125.hex" have issues.

My Sonoff sticks get used quite a bit as routers on both my Hubitat zigbee network and zigbee2mqtt network.

Yea, routers its been a long time since I set them up :joy:

1 Like

What's the firmware version? This really matters. Old firmware versions performed terribly as routers.

1 Like

had them for under 6 months so definitely on the latest version, I got them to improve the network for aqara and sonoff devices kept disconnecting (which has worked) when I only had SmartThings Outlets

The dates have changed:
September 30: migration from Groovy Device Handlers to Edge Drivers begins
October 15: Groovy support on the ST platform ends

2 Likes

I love Hubitat. Early days, I had too many hub slowdowns and the response from Hubitat wasn't great (it's your custom drivers, devices etc)... Since they decided to work on performance, Hubitat has worked awesome for me and is almost 100% reliable.

However, I'm hoping Smartthings Edge does work out. There are a few things I miss from ST (most not Hubitat's fault)...

1. Smartthings app is very user friendly with a very high WAF (quite a bit better than Hubitat's as a control mechanism)
  2. I have a Samsung TV and I miss the integration. Used HubConnect but that wasn't the best (I had to edit the driver to add features like the input and it's still not 100%) but it's also now going away
  3. I have a Logitech harmony remote and while @ogiewon did an awesome job with his driver, being able to control devices and their levels directly from the remote is awesome
  4. My wife and I use Samsung phones and being able to add widgets to our phones, use Smartthings Find and all the other integrations with Smartthings is very nice

I do use mostly custom drivers though and a bunch that I've either written/edited to meet my specific needs. It'd be interesting to see if Lua affords the same ease as Groovy

Unfortunately, using the Logitech remote's "Home Control" buttons will not be coming back to SmartThings, as the Logitech-2-SmartThings integration is Groovy based. Logitech has already stated that they will not be developing a new ST integration, as the Harmony platform is now deprecated.

I am fortunate to have migrated all of my lighting to Lutron Caseta and Philips Hue, both of which are still supported on the Logitech Harmony Hub platform. Hopefully, Logitech keeps the servers running for a few more years! :wink:

Emulated Hue and Emulated Roku are other possibilities for integration with the Harmony Hub/Remote. I have not messed around with either of those...yet. :thinking:

Unfortunately, the utter simplicity of the old ST Groovy IDE is going away shortly. The new edge driver model, based on LUA, is nowhere near as simple for the casual developer, unfortunately. Thus, it really seem like most of the old ST community developers are now here on Hubitat, or have migrated to HA. Even some paid developers have decided that it is not worth the extra effort to support the new ST platform. The lack of a free hosting service for custom SmartApps is really the final straw that seems to drive devs away.

7 Likes

Though I understand this sentiment at the same time i think it is reasonable for Smartthings to want to either make money from, or limit non approved apps from causeing them excessive resource usage. The whole point of the changes Smartthings has been making has been to give them more control and reliability of the service. If all they do is send events to remote services and the hubs in our home they can streamline the code considerably. In turn this limits potential spikes in usage, and stabilize the environment to ensure consistency.

Thanks man... So much useful info in your post

Ah snap, this is so disappointing to hear... Do you expect your home control buttons to stop working at that time also then? That'd be truly sad.

Extra bad news... Looks like moving trying out ST won't even be worth it then.

Is this expected to be permanent?

Samsung automation studio could be considered a replacement. Samsung has a hosted option that can allow users to create there own flows for managing Smartthings devices.

Bs it is not anything like a replacement for home developers that is why i pulled out of there years ago.

Depending on your tv model year, this driver may work for you:

5 Likes

Yeah thanks... I was one of the early testers of that app and one of the early requesters of the integration of SmartThings. He's now added it with more functionality and it works pretty well. Of course, it's still not as fast as native ST since it polls ST every 10 seconds. Also, not sure if this goes away with Groovy and the IDE. I hope not but we'll see...