Groovy deprecation on ST plaform - October 15, 2022

I moved most of the devices to ZigBee in the last 6 months
Only left with
2 x Sirens
3 x Locks
2 x Repeaters
5 x Plug Outlets

Tried twice before the last SDK update and it was terrible also had between 30-40 devices back then

I found the code but how do you install them surely all the default edge drivers should all show up by default

Most of those should be available - by removing the device and pairing it back. but those questions are best to be asked over on the ST forum and not here :slight_smile:

those not available to production, you can subscribe to their beta channel invitation or other developers by clicking on a link they provide. login and select the drivers.

It's still over-complicated I found the beta link https://api.smartthings.com/invitation-web/accept?id=450930c1-02a6-43d8-adaa-4cbc51027956

For something that's getting turned off in 6 weeks surely this should have been done for all users

Developers are creating cool stuff with Edge and DiY'ers as well

1 Like

they will start the full migration at the end of this month and they provided details on what to do on devices that don't migrate properly.

the list of locks I listed above are already available to users when they add new devices. Others will be migrated in the background soon. Any listing that has # at the start of the line is in the process of being added to production,

It has not and will not be fun for users.

Absolutely.

They made it absolutely crystal clear (years ago) that they did not, do not, and will not give a toss about any of their users.

Samsung concentrate on the aspects of the business which generate cash - how much money do they get out of 20 tech-savvy smarthome users pushing the limits with echo-speaks and the rest of it? How much do those guys cost in resources? Including tech support, new drivers and maintenance/bug fixing?

Compare that total income from all (20 of those guys) with the thousands upon thousands of pounds they make from average Joe, buying a selection of tvs and fridges.

It is simply not comparable.

Which is why, logically, there's a tiny little team of people allocated to smart tech. Just enough to warrant that annoying little 'works with smartthings sometimes' badge, to convince the masses that samsung have smart tech on the market just like everyone else.

And just like everyone else, their smart tech (in terms of central control) isn't a patch on competing products such as hubitat, HA etc.

The difference is, every other brand name out there who happens to sell a 'smart fridge' doesn't for one second pretend that their software side competes with the likes of the true smart home systems.

Plus, Samsung is the only 'smart' system which is in the unique position of having a handful of utterly stubborn users who continue to cling onto the notion that 'everything is ace, and will be ace!',.

No difference between this situation and a handful of die hard fans of a local football team who once won the league 80 years ago and have been utterly wank ever since.

Summary:

Samsung don't give a toss. Because they make more money (in one day) from ONE person buying a TV + fridge than they do from TWENTY loyal smarthome fans in a year. And the first guy has ZERO support costs/needs.

But hey, at least they put in the absolute total bear minimum effort into attempting to justify the existence of a hub (which they don't bother to even make themselves anymore), a few sensors and some crap software. Just enough to allow their fridges and freezers to have that glorified little "smartthings" badge.

End of story.

((Yes, I find the whole thing a little biylt of a touchy subject, becuase as far as I'm concerned, that company was happy to utterly ■■■■ me over. I'm just incredibly lucky that I was just-enough aware of this platform back then to look into it, and make the purchase. Best thing I ever did.

Absolutely detest that company with a passion.))

/ accurate opinion.

5 Likes

The truth of what you're saying became abundantly clear to me in January of 2016, while on a trip with my wife. I was angry about it, and felt taken advantage of. About one month later, Hubitat was founded, In January of 2017, I was able to move my house from ST to Hubitat. My wife went from hating my automation hobby, to actually liking it fairly quickly.

I'm very glad it has worked for you.

19 Likes

Thanks Bruce. I really appreciate that response.

Similar position here, although clearly I had nothing to do with the development =p

Wife hated it. hated it all.

Now? She actually boasts to her friends about our smart gear. To the point I'm planning to assist a disabled friend (wife's mate) with an entire rvamp of their new home, hubitat-based (yes, fully informed of all choices - this is a case of convenience and budget).

I'm blown away by the product you guys have put together. And I'm happy that you obviously have a solid enough business / revenue stream to be able to keep this working for people like me, who ultimately only put back into the business where they can with say, the occasional new hub (so far, I'm only on the first), some word of mouth, and minimal radmin subs.

That's a really tough spot to be in, but it seems you guys have it covered. And you have no idea how much it's appreciated. Utterly unique IMO. Long may it continue.

(and my kids and their friends are very impressed with 'The House Robot' - which they see as something in a totally different league to alexa, which we all use frequently for music and convenience).

My 6 year old utterly believes that the house robot helps to protect us from fires (she had a bit of a scare when she was tiny, and I hooked up some smart detectors following on from it).

Having this system really helped to reassure her. Plus her friends home was robbed a few years agi, and she never worries about things like that because "Daddy's house robot helps to protect the house" (I've hooked up a stack of stuff for this).

My 2 year old and 6 year old are both used to the fact that the house robot knows about santa, detects his magic key and let's him in, knowing he's not a burglar. My Christmas routines and voice notifications are simple, but ace.

Anyhoo. I'll leave this now as its deteriorating into ■■■-kissery. I love the product, serves a purpose, and I really appreciate the tool kit it has provided me with. Totally satisfies my creativity / curiosity. Amazing stuff IMO. Thanks again.

6 Likes

Automate your life on YouTube published this yesterday:

All but stopped watching after he said "Groovy is a web-based system that keeps us in the cloud". But I gave him the benefit of the doubt, so I let the video play on.

I have to say, that I hope the current or future SmartThings users have the patience necessary to wait for the magic things to happen. I, as a former SmartThings user, got tired of waiting, five years ago.

Back then and still to this day, creating a rule that runs local and doesn't transmit the commands to a cloud and back to my home was nearly impossible, and had so many strings attached that 99.99% of use cases disqualified the rule from running locally. Over the past five years SmartThings made little progress. Will things change in the next five or ten years? Your guess is as best as mine, but time is of essence. For now, I enjoy full local control of everything I can think of, and that's only using the Basic Rules app :slight_smile: . Everything else, is my reward for not waiting for magic things to happen. As a veteran SmartThings user once told me: never buy smart home gadgets for what they promise will do, but for what they do today!

15 Likes

So, If I had stayed with ST all my Webcore apps would fail on Sept 30. I am so glad I made the decision to change to HE 2 years ago.

In the beginning, I missed WebCore but I made a decision to learn RM and I have gotten used to RM and am reasonably proficient at developing the rules I need. I also appreciate HE updates with Basic Rules and Room Lighting.

7 Likes

Thank you, you made me move my z-wave devices over on Friday, and wow what a difference, so much better than and faster than ST z-wave, my locks now open in less than a second when on ST it would be around 5.

I also moved my ring and nest devices over and will be unplugging my ST hub tomorrow

9 Likes

Make sure you do not have any ghosts!!!

3 Likes

only had 11 devices to move over. I only have a z-wave network due to my locks, each device added first time including the locks using S2

4 Likes

I would recommend re pairing everything EXCEPT the locks with No security. Your mesh will be much happier.

I only mention ghosts because a lot of people have pairing failures and don't realize that's what causes ghosts and that can trash a mesh.

Just to be sure your Z-Wave experience is as good as it can be... Did you already update the Z-Wave Controller's Firmware on your C-7 Hub? It is under Z-Wave Details in the Settings menu. Once it has been updated. the Z-Wave Firmware Update button will disappear.

5 Likes

yup did that before adding any devices

9 Likes

I Unplugged my SmartThings Hub today :+1:

10 Likes

Welcome to you new cloud hassle free life :partying_face:

3 Likes