Great Peanut Panic of 2020: What's the issue with the peanuts?

FYI, you need the plug the ST hub in only to setup HubConnect. You can safely unplug it after that for cloud integrations like ES.

2 Likes

The challenge is to stack AS MANY echos on top of each other as possible

I have four stacked right now. Mr. Bezos saw me doing this from my Echo Show and is currently flying to North Dakota to personally congratulate me. He may travel to Iowa, next.

2 Likes

I have over a dozen Peanut Plugs on my primary HE. One in particular is switching multiple times a day (it runs our Super Feeder) and a few others operate a few times a day.
I would say I am in the camp of people that says they work, work well, and help my mesh. But then again, I have Lightify stuff also that seems to work fine despite complaints about them in the forum.

4 Likes

@april.brandt --- can you try pairing your peanuts with Lightify? :slight_smile: Mine is in a production environment and I don't want to remove it.

1 Like

Has anyone cut one open? I wonder what SOC is in there? The picture on the FCC certification isn't readable. Wonder if it's the Marvell SOC?

Need to crack the shell? Amazingly there does not appear to be anyone online that has even after a bunch of Google searches.

If it can wait, I can try to remember to pop one open tonight. Or unless someone else beats me to it.

Happy to. I'll try it tonight

3 Likes

@adamkempenich i can't get it to detect the plug

1 Like

So I popped the shell open to see the tasty goodness of a Peanut... and got nowhere after that. I was unable to figure out how to get the boards out and the 3 are all connected together. The main chip is mostly hidden behind the antenna (as the FCC images showed) and I could not get an angle on it to figure out what it is. Since I do not want to actually destroy it, I cannot provide an idea of the chip. Sorry.

2 Likes

Have you tried talking kindly to it? β€œHey ol’ Peanut, would you please pair?”

:joy:

3 Likes

peanut panic 2020 .. I love it :rofl:

2 Likes

OMG! The stream of humor that could be harvested from this!

5 Likes

My kid's friend wasn't allowed over, after his mom discovered we had peanuts in the house

10 Likes

Sorry for my off-topic (and non-humorous) response. Just as an FYI for everyone, the American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends introduction of peanut products to very young infants to prevent the development of peanut allergies. Same for shellfish .....

This is a complete turnaround from their recommendation from 2000 (which was the opposite - and never made any immunological sense).

12 Likes

My kids LOVE Peanuts... except for eating.

2 Likes

Although I did see the 4 Peanut Plugs I had changing routes, it didn't seem to be an issue that I ever found. But, I needed to use the power reporting feature and this was just plain unreliable. @aaiyar told me he had the same issues with this. They all had updated firmware but would report momentary power usages at random times. I could see this with Grafana after I set my hub to send the power levels to InflluxDB. I was unable to use them to trigger rules due to this. I then tested my Samsung Zigbee plugs and Zooz Z-Wave plugs in the same outlets and no other did this. The Peanut plugs had the power reporting spikes no matter what outlet they were in. This was why they went on the "non-usable" list for me.

1 Like

I have two Peanuts connected to an Almond3. One of them has the power reporting spikes. The other doesn't. So this issue is a Peanut issue that is independent of HE.

2 Likes

All 4 of the ones I had showed power spikes. But by what you say, there are apparently some that do work correctly. (at least 1 anyway)

1 Like

The issue I found was that they would change routes and dump end devices (Sylvania 4-button switch, Iris V2 contact sensor). I'm pretty sure this is why I would have to press the buttons a couple times, or open/close a door again. The end devices were looking for a new route. I didn't know for certain that this was a problem until I bought a second HE hub devoted to end devices (and no Peanuts). I have not had an issue with any of my end devices since, and it has now been 3 months trouble free. I will admit that I have most of my Sylvania lights on the original hub, but do have a couple Sylvania Flex XL strips in an area that needed a repeater and haven't had any problems. All of my Sylvania bulbs have been updated to the latest firmware through the Lightify hub. The firmware for the lightstrips and the recessed HO RGBW lights wasn't available through the ST hub btw.

4 Likes

I can confirm all of my Sylvania 4 button switches have not missed a single keypress as end devices on second hub. I had removed my one peanut outlet, but still missed occasional button press until I moved all switches to second hub (about 2 months)

3 Likes