Great Peanut Panic of 2020: What's the issue with the peanuts?

End devices will show up at the top under child data if they aren’t being routed through repeaters.

1 Like

Isn’t that what I said. LOL :blush:

1 Like

So to be clear, both the Neighbor Table, (which appears to be powered routing devices directly connected to the Hub) is more populous, and the Route Table also indicates more devices connected via the devices now showing in the Neighbor Table.

This remains purely subjective, but in all honesty, previously this screen did not provide me a lot of value. However, I'm now able to see a much larger portion of my Zigbee network displayed.

I don't know if that has to do with both how the Peanuts perform as repeaters, and how they report the routed devices to Hubitat, but this configuration seems superior to me. That is the Samsung ZIgbee outlets seem like they are repeating as one would expect, and the paths displayed seem to make a degree of sense from a Line of Sight and relative location/type of devices connecting.

Now down to Zero active peanuts BTW.

S.

2 Likes

NOTE: since i think this is relevant, I'm reposting here my experience with hue motion sensors and their effect on my mesh. It was originally posted in another thread

Okay, so without this ghost feature I would have never discovered- That my hue motion sensors, I love so much, are really messing up my mesh.
Constantly having ghost devices be found by the HE feature for ghost zigbee devices. And was finally able to track down to Hue motion sensors. Similar to the great peanut panic, these hue motion sensors are jumping around like crazy and constantly switching their 16 bit address, and those ghosts are found by Mike's feature(i haven't upgraded yet to remove feature)

About 2 weeks ago I added the 16bit address to each of my 4 hue motion sensor's names. ALL except 1 hue motion sensor have changed their 16 bit address, and therein is the cause of my ghosts.

When I hit "get info" on my ghost,I see this below.

not sure if this a bad thing or something that would clear up on it's own? And is it a feature of hue or a bug?

For the simple minded among us (me)... can someone point out where I can look at this routing table and see if the many peanuts I have are changing routes frequently as mentioned?

Thanks!!!

Here ya go!

http://[yourip]/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

Interpreting it is another matter though..

2 Likes

TL;DR: Best to think of that page not as a routing table, but as the status of the 'first hop routers' that your hub will use when talking to devices in your mesh. Some folks have seen Peanut plugs frequently lose/regain their routing neighbor status.

Unlike Z-Wave, where mesh topology is relatively static until there is an indication of a failed message delivery (in which case previously working alternate routes are tried, and failing that, new route discovery is initiated), in a Zigbee mesh the routing neighbor nodes are constantly communicating their status to each other approximately four times a minute, even when no other traffic is going on. That's how it can 'self heal'.

Each Zigbee mains powered routing device (including the hub) tracks up to 16 in-range routers-- shown in the "Neighbor Table Entry' section; each expects to receive status information at periodic intervals that indicates how well it is being heard on the link by means of a 'outCost' number provided by the neighbor (zero if no info has been provided during the expected interval, or a number ranging from 1-7 with 1 being the best measure).

Likewise it transmits an 'inCost' figure to its neighbor link, telling that neighbor how well it is capable of 'hearing' that neighbor. That way routes can be chosen that are good in both directions (chosen so they are good from the point of view of both the sender and receiver). The routing strategy picks routes by these in/out cost figures (rather than LQI, which is a figure of merit for one side of the link only-- the hub's).

The elapsed time intervals between reports are tracked by the 'age' counters; a few intervals are allowed for synchronization of the exchanges. So by refreshing this page you will see the age counters increment (from 3 to 6) depending on when the last link status was received. If the age counter exceeds 6 intervals with no new status, the link is considered stale and can be replaced by another one. So as conditions change (nodes fail or RF environment degrades), neighbors can be evicted from the table and be replaced by other potentially viable links.

With a lot of neighbors in range of each other (not a great scenario for Zigbee, where you actually can have too many repeaters) this table can always be in flux. With a stable network these neighbors may change, but not very often. I haven't used Peanut plugs, but folks that have had issues with them have seen them frequently bouncing in and out of the neighbor table.

3 Likes

I still have and use 10 peanut plugs for a year and half with zero zigbee mesh issues, and live by the if it's not broke don't fix it rule. But no sense in rehashing that debate.

1 Like

I just counted... I have 22 Peanuts... ugh... and more in a box. I've looked at the routing table a bit and still trying to figure it out... (figure out if I have a problem). I know I suffer from the "hub slowdown" problem and some have linked that to peanut issues...

To complicate matters, Peanuts are variably chatty even with Almond routers. I have two Peanuts (identical firmware) paired to an Almond 3. One of the floods the Almond with power reports; the other is virtually silent. Each of them is connected to the same load (the power-supply to a Hubitat).

I guess I am considering dumping them. After switching to Caseta switches I am re-invigorated on the HE front... and think possibly life can actually be better with Home Automation -- a position I held early on and quickly dumped as stuff stopped working reliably.

Getting rid of the smart things buttons and moving to Caseta Pico's has cured most of my irritants... but I do think my mesh has issues from time to time and perhaps it is this Peanut allergy....

So... for nothing more than getting this out of my head and onto "paper"-- the things I have done so far to make Hubitat much more reliable for me are:

1). Stop updating HE. (sorry... it's just what I chose to do in pursuit of reliability)
2). Move everything possible off of Rule Machine. (sorry... I'll go back at some point)
3). Nightly reboot.
4). Dump as many battery powered zigbee devices as possible (like Smart things buttons)
5). Switch to Lutron Caseta for anything possible

Perhaps if I dumped the peanuts as step (1) none of the other step's would have been necessary.

Just rambling. Thanks all.

Most likely. I have SmartThings buttons scattered around the house, even in a couple refrigerators, and have had zero problems with them over the past 2 years.
Having to reboot your hub nightly, which I had to do as well when I had Peanuts, means that the mesh is never completely stabilized and running at top speed.
When I updated to the latest firmware, I was finally able to delete my scheduled reboots that were twice weekly.

1 Like

I think Peanut Plugs are definitely one of those "your experience may vary" devices though. I have over a dozen of them scattered all over the house and do not run into any apparent trouble with them. Definitely do not need to reboot the hub they are attached to, nor do I have any problems with them working when I tell them to.

They have been reliable and are pretty convenient with their size and price.

2 Likes

I have to say, that moving off of RM helped my stability the most. If you can setup a node red computer, I have had great success with it.

2 Likes

I have 6 of them around the house. 1 Near the hub in the basement. One almost directly overhead in a hallway on the 1st floor and then one in the hallway on the second floor. The others are in rooms where I need a controllable plug for like the scented wax melter, Christmas lights, my cycling "pain cave". I have had them running for 2 years now and no issues except once where I had the wrong driver associated with the device.

I've got 3 of the Securfi Peanut Zigbee Outlets in my house (connected to three Wyze Cameras) and they've been working fine with no issues. The only negative I see is their size (a little bit chunky).

I have a few and have never had issues. Lots of other people report the same. But then some folks can document that their zigbee network behaves much better just by getting rid of them. Makes me wonder if there's a firmware difference between some of the devices?

1 Like

I have 2 Peanuts paired to an Almond 3. Same firmware, purchased at the same time. One of them is incredibly chatty - based on Almond logs. The other is well behaved.

They both have the same electrical load on them.

So I think the variation comes from anomalies during manufacturing.

2 Likes

Very interesting.

Well I just ordered 20 Iris plugs to replace my Peanuts... too bad... I rather liked the Peanuts. I am hoping things get even more reliable once they are gone. If anyone wants to buy 22 Peanuts... hit me up! :slight_smile:

1 Like