Great dissappointment

So !!
I had this message month ago, some lights got switched on without particular reason, (and that is not first time). As I am not at my home 6 months, already, I have asked my neighbour to check what is going on, and she went to my house.
She tried to operate all devices but no success.
Now tricky part goes,
Ever since, I haven't been able to connect to my box from anywhere, (nor from my network which I have accessed through TW app).

Today, to my great dissapponttment , I have discovered that for some reason box had ressetted to defaults, not single device is present in.
First things firs, I am asking how the f... that is possible,
and second of all, I will start to give negative marks on this box for this, as I have to reassign all devices one by one, (which is literally impossible without me being at home).

I think I will move away from this platform, and, as I wrote, my marks will be lowest possible with all issues explained.

Such unstable box, and such fragile database is absolutely dealbreak, and posses no good image nor for the company nor the product!

Have you tried to restor a backup? If you go to Settings -> Backup and Restore you should have a few backups to restore from. But maybe its been to many days from when your HE got resetted.

I would also suggest that you manually save a backup that you store on another device once in a while.

Have you tried reaching out to support?

Also, what do you mean "she tried to operate all devices"? What kind of devices and how were they "operated"? You don't really give a whole lot of information in your post.

That is irrelevant, but, there is 6 remotes, 25 lights, some thermometers and loads of automation and scenes. Nothing is in there.
My oldest backup is 5 days ago, (so it is very fresh, yet still empty database).

So, yes.

It has been dissapointing and made me really upset about as I did not expect this to happend. Being 3000 miles of home and this to hapend ?!?. I mean, Really ???

Nothing good. about !

Why is it irrelevant? Depending on the device, it should be operable without the hub. I know I can turn my lights on and off with out my hub.

Did you attempt to restore one of your backups? What happened, if you did? Again, have you reached out to support? You never answered, as far as I can tell.

I understand your being upset, but you posted here and we're simply trying to help.

Contact support.

I definitely sympathize with your predicament, but complaining on here will do little to satisfy your need to know what happened - or if it is recoverable.

Only support can help with that detailed response.

1 Like

maybe a (small) power outage ?
Sometimes a very quick power outage has no effect on regular devices but has effect on electronic ones.
I understand you're frustrated and this happend always at the worst moment.
You know, I had a lot (and when I say a lot, that means a lot) of failures and problems since 40 years. That's the reason why I'm a techie philosopher :slight_smile:

Just to mention a (not so) funny story, I had to drive 600 kms (Brussels-Paris-Brussels) to reset a frozen computer: spent a whole day on the road... to push a single button.
That said, I suggest to add a small ups to avoid that kind of problem.
It's maybe not the reason why your Hub reset itself, but an ups is always good for important devices (and you filter electronic noise and peaks at the same time).
Keep faith, Home automation is fun, even with the problems.

I really do not care.
It is something that should not happend, (under any circumstances), and to be honest, not single hub I had previously had similar issues.
You see,
I will recover from this as soon as I arrive home, but it will be without HE, for sure. This one goes to thrash immidiately, (and I really have no regret for money I have paid for).
I will review my impressions regarding the box.
I gave chance to this box as it had appealing add in the internet!!!
Spent numbers of hours to set it up,, then some bright mind came to idea to change some of the "applications" in, and ther You go, I had to spend some more numbers of hours to adopt to that new application instead of old one.
Then, in attempt to operate some devices, no response got from these, (where some very humble gateways-hubs were able to make it flawlesly), so I had to figure out how to make it work.
So,
this post is not about reverting my old database, nor is about fixing anything else.
It is about INSTABILITY of box itself, as well as for updates!!

Have you never downloaded a backup to a remote PC etc?

Personally if I was running any Home Automation remotely as you are I would make damn sure I had multiple back up files stored off site for just this eventuality.

Having said all that, I can't remember ever hearing of a Hubitat factory resetting itself without any user input, so either you have been very unlucky or someone has accessed the hub in your absence.

2 Likes

It is on UPS, as I have some other devices attached there, (few RF filters, distributional amps and some other SBC-s).
I am fairly experienced in power outage failures, (as for even here where I am now, I am having these every now and then)..

My point is,
Device should not reset it's database under any condition, (it is in some kind of NV memory as I understand), yet again.
I have some 5 days old backups, but not anything older which is, another aspect of not acceptableance.

Well, we'll agree to disagree there. Things break, and things fail. It happens, and will always happen - that's just a fact of life.

Yes, it stinks when it happens to you, but if your expectation is that nothing fails ever - well, you will be disappointed in life very often.

I've had $30K servers fail, I've had redundant industrial controllers fail, etc. Life is not perfect.

In any case, good luck on whatever hub you choose to move to. Since you already stated you are not going to be staying with Hubitat, then there is no reason to continue this discussion any further.

9 Likes

My server does not show any intrudance.
I have Opensuse server at home which takes care about any entrance, and some really twisted ways to access my home network.
Long story short,
One should know all my home network topology, and passwords together with IP adresses which are not standard in any way in order to access anything vital.
I would not say impossible, (as there is allways possibility for some geek to enter, but since server is logging all traffic and there is no record of, I'd say allmost impossible).

Personally I sympathize with you, but it is impossible to pretend "under any circumstamce" without knowing what happened (overcharge, lightning, power outgage) and moreover the "environment".
I would never rely on HUB (or any other CPU based device) unattended for months , without an UPS , to be able to vpn the local net, repower the device or getting backup.

How is that not acceptable? There are many others on this forum, and not, that use Hubitat without this being an issue. If you were so concerned about backups, you could have manually created them and stored them in a safe location. There are also automated ways to continually download backups.

It seems you simply came on here to rant, so I'll leave you to that.

While I understand your frustration people on here are trying to help you.
Do you have remote access to your hub through vpn access or something similar?
If so I would suggest it is recoverable in 10 minutes.
Do you want help or are you just venting your frustration?

I agree on last.
For the others, I dissagree !
If You got Your $ 30 K servers down, and they were critical for any reason, You should had some kind of automatic/redundant backup in order to avoid something similar.

HE had it's backups, aint it?
So why the f...k there is no older one rather then 5 days ago .

That is why I wrote unacceptable.
Other boxes, have something that corresponds to term "last working configuration", (and I am in the moment experimenting with such one box)

HE makes backups on it's own.
Right ?

So where are backups from last year ???

Mine are on a PC but under no circumstances would I load any more than a couple of weeks old as I'm always changing things.

How many do you expect a device like the HE hub to store? It's a device that cannot compare to a $30K server.

Your hub obviously had an issue and because of that you now have backups that aren't older than 5 days ago.

Again, a device like this does not have infinite storage. Allot of other hubs don't even provide any type of backup. So, I don't get what you're complaint is here.

3 Likes

It does state clearly that 5 days of backups are stored and also recommends you download a backup. Sorry you missed reading this.

6 Likes