Google Nest Hub Max review: bigger screen, better sound, and a camera

No, this is actually a browser opening up on the hub, fully functional touch screen control.

1 Like

Ahh, cool!!

So this could be potentially used to send anything to these devices? that definitively changes things, will have to give it a try...

1 Like

Yes (although not ANYTHING... Just anything chromecast / google cast supports)... Hence the name... :smile:

Does anyone know the release date of google nest hub max in Europe (germany, austria, ...)?

The hub max devices are fantastic. I use the auto generated UI for all the hubitat devices and voice control of the lights and fans in each room is great too.

I love the inbuilt goodnight routine, it tells me tomorrow's weather, asks me what time i'd like to be woken up and then it triggers a Hubitat rule that turns off all my lights and sets my night time security, all while telling me what it's doing.

My next task with that routine (via HE) is to have it report any locks that are unlocked that will then be locked so that we feel secure as we go to bed.

1 Like

Hi

I was just wondering will the cast stop after x minutes ? Or stay until changed ?

Thanks

I can't speak for @bptworld 's integration - I'm using CATT outside of HE. But my experience has been that prior to approximately 6 months ago, anything casted would remain on the screen - barring some other issue like a wifi glitch etc.

About 6 months ago, Google changed something. Now it lasts pretty much exactly 10 minutes, and then drops the cast (or more precisely, I think the cast is playing in the background but the display goes back to the home screen/clock).

This is a Google issue, or at least one caused by them. I find some apps, such as Pluto, will cast to the google homes but they drop out after the same 10 minutes. But I've found some other casting apps do not drop. Possibly Google changed their casting protocol, such as some stay alive command may now be needed that many casting apps aren't complying with.

Unrelated to casting but a similar issue occurring since the update about 6 months ago, if you ask google to play music on the hubs after 10 minutes it goes back to the clock screen and no longer shows you what is playing nor the controls to change the music. Which I find annoying, maybe others would not. You can get back to the controls with a few swipes - but if you are playing music throughout the house it is annoying that they all stop showing what is playing.

I have a google page complaining about it. If you have the same issues, please add your comments / upvote it.... not that it will help! Google will do as they please. But without a lot of workarounds, it ruins an always on dashboard. I have mine set to mute the displays every 10 minutes, then recast my dashboard, then unmute - just so I don't hear the casting chime throughout the house as all the displays recast.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/60133536?hl=en

If others aren't seeing this issue, please let me know! Eager to fix it.

Does anybody know if I can use Nest Hub Max as a motion sensor to turn on my lights?

This is and remains a Google issue for Google Hubs that have updated their OS although the later models seem to work OK. However if you are using HA then a workaround is included in the upcoming December release.

1 Like